58- How Things Ended Up

Kris

As the season moves along the more hype there is around the team. By the end of July's we're in a really good position. We had guys doing what's expected of them, then guys like Willson who came out of nowhere and has been a total ray of sunshine. The guys were on a roll and we were sending our whole infield to the all-star game. But we were struggling into the allstar break and it was no secret that we needed a few days off.

The allstar game was in San Diego this year so Jayden and Jay and I decided to go out early. A few extra days in the sun wouldn't kill us plus it gives me time to meet up with old college friends and Jayden to meet up with Tyler about when her album is coming out and what the plan there was.

I decide to give my friends a text and they agreed to meet me at the beach. I put Jay on a leash and grab a beach bag and head out to find them.

After searching for a little I find everyone out there. I even got Bryce Harper to come out and hang with us. His team was doing really good too and he was out for the allstar game because he was a stud too. We were childhood friends, not to the extent of Anthony and Jayden, but we still text and hang out when him or I are in town, he was a cool dude and a even more bomb baseball player.

I get my towel out and lay it down. I sit on top as the guys join me on the beach.

"So kris, where's your lady friend" my friend Scott asks me.

"She's in a meeting right now. She'll join us in about a hour" I explain.

"How far along is she" Bryce asks.

"She's three months, around 13 weeks or so" I nod.

"That's crazy. By the end of this year you could be a Dad" my buddy Sam insists.

"I know. I never thought I would start this year the way I did and I never thought I would end it that way either" I shake my head.

"How is she doing" Bryce asks.

"Better now that she knows she's pregnant. She was worried that she was getting sick again but it was just side effects of carrying and making a child" I shrug.

"Yeah, I can see how that might affect your body" Sam says and I laugh.

We sit there and catch up and eventually Bryce's wife comes over which made me feel better that I wasn't forcing Jayden to hang out with a bunch of guys like I usually do.

After about a hour her and Manny shows up. She sits down next to me and gets comfortable as Manny keeps look out over Jayden.

"Hey baby, how was your meeting" I ask as she gets settled in beside me.

"It was good. We got a lot figured out and that makes my life so much easier. One less thing I have to worry about" she admits.

"How are you feeling" I ask and she stops fiddling around for a second to smile at me.

"I'm good, thanks for asking" she nods.

I introduce her to everyone and she really hits it off with Bryce's wife. They had been together since high school and I think it awesome they stayed together all this time. Being in a relationship with someone who travels like we do is hard enough. Let alone when when both partners have demanding jobs. But we figure it out.

"Who's the big guy" Scott asks nodding his head to Manny and I laugh.

"That is Jayden's security guard. Aka the hardest job in the world" I joke.

"I heard that" Jayden whines.

"I'm kidding" I defend.

"Alright, who is ready to get into the water" Bryce's wife Kayla says.

"I am" Bryce agrees.

"Me too" I add on.

"I'm in" Scott chimes in. We all get into our bathing suits and get ready to hit the water.

"Holy shit. Are you sure you're pregnant" Kayla asks as Jayden rubs sun tan lotion all over herself.

"Considering I threw up twice this morning, yes" she laughs.

"You sure don't look it" Kayla insists

"And I'm going to enjoy that for as long as I can" Jayden insists.

We all go into the water and chill out for once. It's not good to be on the go all the time as this beach is a good reminder of that. There wasn't too many people out so it wasn't bad. And with Manny standing on shore no one seemed to bother us.

"I can't believe your girlfriend has a body guard" Scott admits.

"I can't believe she needs one. She's like the sweetest little thing ever, I can't imagine anyone wanting to do anything bad to her" I admit.

"I think he's more here to make sure someone doesn't steal her. She could probably fit in a carry on" he claims and I laugh.

"You're not wrong. But she likes having him around, she feels safer and I do too. I'll admit it was weird at first, sometimes he has to come on our dates and I feel bad that he follows us around all the time, but he's actually really cool. I hung out with him on tour whenever Jayden was performing and we would play video games and watch football or hockey or just mess around when she was working. He's a cool dude" I explain.

"You're telling me I could get paid to be mean to people and travel the world" Scott asks and I shake my head.

"Sure."

After a while we decide to get out. I didn't want to turn into a lobster again and I had to get to the park tomorrow to watch the home run derby so I should probably head to the hotel.

I say goodbye for my friends and make plans for diner with Bryce and Kayla for dinner because the girls we insisted we hung out some more.

After a while we get back to the hotel where jay was sleeping out on the deck. We let him in and he curls up on the couch. It's going to be a real pain in my ass when he gets older and takes up the whole couch.

I sit down next to him and Jayden sits down next to me. She places her hands in my lap and her head on mine. She hands me a brush and I happily comb her hair out.

"I like your friends, they were really cool" she admits.

"Yeah, they gave me a nice two years here in college" I admit.

"Do you have any crazy college stories" she asks and I laugh.

"No. I don't drink and school and baseball came before anything so I don't really have any stories" I admit. "What about you" I ask.

"Not really. I did some stupid stuff but I was sober and honestly just bored. Music came naturally to me so I went to school for music, that was a no brainer. I had a lot of free time but I spent most of it at home" she explains.

"That's pretty fun" I admit.

"I still wish Anthony would have done at least one semester of college with me just for the hell of it. I would have loved to see him at a frat party, that would be hilarious" she claims.

"That would be something" I chuckle.

"But I kinda like how things turned out" she admits looking up into my eyes.

"Me too."