60- Headache

Kris

As the end of this Cinderella season starts to wind down we get a chance to look back at what we've accomplished. We had our ups and downs, but the ups by far suppresses the downs we've experienced. This team was making history and having fun while doing it. It doesn't even feel like a game most times, just hanging out with friends at the field like the good old times. This is what baseball should be like all the time, but I would be stupid to think that this type of happiness is sustainable in a monetized organization. But this team is different, and that's what's going to separate us from everyone else.

After a game in late September I come home feeling pretty tired. We won in extra innings and it was a exhausting game both mentally and physically. I mean, we were so far ahead in the standings that we didn't have to win for the rest of the season and everyone else could win out and we would still be in first by a few games. Now we were just tinkering and resting and getting ready for whoever we see in the playoffs.

I toss my things inside the door and let out a sigh. I rub my head trying to fight of this headache that was threatening me.

I look up and see Jayden standing there in her PJ's, her little hand resting on her growing belly. She was five months along and starting to get a bump, it was honestly the cutest thing ever. Her long brown hair sat in a bun on top of her head as a few curls frame her face.

"Good job today baby, you did really good" she says softly. Her voice smooth like silk as she smiles up at me.

"Thank you" I say pulling her into a hug. She wraps her arms around me and suddenly I felt right at home. The scent of her shampoo fills my head as she stands in my embrace.

"Do you want to watch a movie" she asks and I smile.

"I would love that" I admit.

I go to get some popcorn and she grabs some blankets. I change into something more comfortable and grab our food before joining her on the couch. She picks out a movie and naturally it was Sing. I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure she has.

At one point in the movie I look down to see if we had popcorn, there was plenty left but I kind of got distracted. As Jayden's head rests on my chest I realize how perfectly she fit in my arms. It was like a puzzle piece that was missing up until she got here. And she completed me and I didn't even know it.

I kiss the top of her head and she finally breaks her stare from the tv to smile up at me. She moves in closer and hold her tight.

As the movie starts to finish up my headache starts to get a little stronger. I move my hand to rub my head and I could feel Jayden's eyes on me.

"Are you okay" she asks softly.

"Yeah. It's just a headache, that game really did it to me" I chuckle lightly.

"Let me get you some ibuprofen" she insists trying to get up.

"You don't have to do that" I insist.

"I don't. But I want to" she explains.

"But you're comfy" I pout.

"But your head hurts" she counters. I let out a sigh and she smiles knowing she's won. She climbs out of my grasp and disappears into the bathroom. She grabs a water bottle and pours some headache medicine in her hand and hands it to me. I take the medication and she curls back into my side.

"Do you want a boy or a girl" I ask randomly and she turns to me.

"What" she asks.

"The baby, do you want a boy or a girl" I ask.

"Ohhh" she says. "I don't know. I'm going to be excited either way, but I kinda want a boy" she shrugs.

"Really" I ask and she nods. "I don't know why but I expected you say girl" I admit.

"I do want a girl eventually. But I kinda want a Anthony and me duo. Someone to look after her and someone she can look up to" she explains. Now that makes sense.

"That's really cute. I like that" I admit.

"What about you? What do you want" she wonders.

"I'm not sure. I know for sure I want one of each eventually. Having kids is going to be extra challenging but I know we can do it. But if I had to chose I would say a boy too. I don't know what I would do if we had a girl first because I know she's going to end up breaking my heart" I claim and she laughs.

"Yeah. How do you think my parents felt" she teases and I shake my head.

"I can't imagine how they felt" I laugh.

"I feel like they got to me and mutually agreed that they were going to lose their mind if they got a fourth daughter" she giggles.

"If we have four girls we might have a problem because I don't know how I can spoil four girls at once" I defend.

"Oh it's possible. We got everything we asked for on the drop of a dime. Just give Dad the puppy dog eyes and he was like putty in our hands" she insists.

"That sounds about right" I nod.

"Luckily I never asked for much. The only thing I ever really had to work for was a grand piano. And they regretted that decision through and through because once I got that I never stopped playing. They probably wished I asked for something like make up or anything quieter than that thing" she explains.

"That sounds about right too" I nod.

"But they loved us. There was always something happening at that house, I'm surprised my parents stayed sane. Then again I spent a lot of time at Anthony's so I'm sure I missed a lot. But when it came down to it we were a family. A really loud and really crazy family" she sighs.

"No offense... but I do not want a loud and crazy family" I insist.

"Neither do I. I do not want to go through that again. Dear god no" she begs.

"I think two or three kids is good" I say.

"I'm good with that. It's going to be a bit much if I'm trying to tour and you're playing baseball and we have ten kids running around" she defends.

"I feel like I'm getting a grey hair thinking about that" I admit.

"Let's just focus on this little one right here" she says patting her belly. I put my hand on top of hers and she kisses the back of my hand.

"Sounds like a plan."