25- Family Matters

Kris

After Jayden went around New York doing late night shows and interviews she returns home. And it should be a time I should celebrate her being back and have some fun along the way but that was put on hold.

Along with a record release party right when she returned, Jayden's family was coming into town to celebrate with us so this was my first time meeting all of them. And while I know I shouldn't be nervous, I couldn't help it. I wanted her family to like me so bad. I knew her sister Mandy does because we met when she came down earlier this year. But her parents were southern through and through and I didn't want to say something wrong or send off the wrong messages.

I woke up early this morning since I couldn't sleep and pull on the nicest baby blue shirt I had, because it was her favorite color, and a pair of jeans. I style my hair nice and throw on some cologne before calling it a day.

I walk out of the living room and start to pace in the kitchen. I rehearse in my head what to say and how to talk to them. What name to call them and which sister is which.

"Are you nervous buddy" Anthony asks rubbing my shoulders.

"That obvious huh" I ask.

"A little, but don't worry. Only her dad can smell fear" he teases and I hit him upside the head.

"Okay, I get it. I'm making this harder than it needs to be. But I really want them to like me" I insist.

"Everyone likes you. Guys on other teams like you" he claims.

"And I don't care if they like me or not" I defend.

"Listen, all you have to do is be yourself. Don't be someone you're not" he advises.

"I can do that" I nod.

Finally Jayden comes out of her room and I verbally let out a sigh. She struts her little frame over to me and grabs my face. She places a light kiss on my lips and rubs my arms.

"You're going to be fine, I promise" she assures me and I nod.

Eventually there a knock on the door and we all stop. I feel my breathing get caught in my throat as each second felt like a hour that passed.

Jayden happily skips to the door and opens it. In floods a bunch of people all talking at the same time and I hold my breath. I'm pretty sure I got it all down but I can't be sure. I guess we were about to find out.

Jayden was the youngest of four kids. The oldest was Shannon who just turned 30. She has a husband and two kids and lives back home in Florida. She was like a third mom to Jayden after her real mom and Anthony's mom and I've actually talked to her a few times already because she called me to make sure Jayden was okay. The second oldest was Winnie who was 27. She was a layer who lived in New York not with Mandy but close to her. She was a very respectable and very straight forward woman. She is single because she believes women's downfall is men and relationships are a weakness. I pretty much already knew she wouldn't like me so I wasn't getting my hopes up. And of course we have Mandy who I've already met. She was a outgoing 26 year old who models up in New York.

Then there was her parents, Jack and Annie Daniels. They were the real southern type, they owned a beach house in Fort Lauderdale with Anthony's parents that they spend the summers at now that all the kids are out of the house. Annie worked as a social worker and Jack was a mechanic but both was very close to retirement. All together they were a blue collar family who prides themselves on being southern. Something this Vegas boy knew nothing about.

Once they were all in the door they all make their way over to me. Her mom was short just like Jayden was, dark brown hair styled short like she lived in the heat. She pulls me down and kisses my cheek before letting me go.

"Well it's nice to finally meet you darlin'. We've heard so many great things about you" she says and I smile. Her accent wasn't all that thick but it was there.

"Thanks Ms. Daniels. It's a pleasure to meet you too" I nod.

"Oh sweetie. You don't have to call me that. Jus' call me Annie" she insists.

"And you must be Mr. Daniels" I say shaking her dads hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you son" he nods shaking my hand. He had a hard grip and shook a little bit longer than usual. I think he was trying to send a message and it was definitely received. He eventually lets go of my hand but the damage was already done.

"Are you excited to be in Chicago" I ask just trying to make a conversation.

"I'm just here to make sure you don't hurt my baby girl" he claims.

"Daddy" Jayden gasps.

"Jacob" her mom chimes in.

"What!?! Just putting it out there" he defends.

"I'll have you know Kris has been nothing but great to me ever since we met. He wouldn't do a single thing to hurt me and you have nothing to worry about" Jayden argues.

"That's what I like to hear" he smiles. Great, maybe he won't kill me.

I say hi to the rest of her family and Jayden eventually returns to my side. She laces her fingers through mine and smiles up to me to calm me down. Only she can make my heart race and stop at the same time.

"So, what are the plans for today" Mandy asks.

"How about a tour" I suggest.

"Oh I'm down. I've always wanted to see this place" Annie admits.

"Awesome. Anthony, are you coming with" Jayden asks.

"Duh" he scoffs. I'm not even sure why she asked.

We all walk out of the apartment and into the city. Usually when Jayden goes out she has a body guard but we had numbers so Manny could spend some time with his dog. He loved that thing.

"So Kris, how has Chicago been treating you" Mandy asks as Anthony walks close beside her.

"It's been great. This city is amazing, but the people in it... they're that much better" I insist smiling down at Jayden.

"Aww you guys are so cute" Mandy claims.

"I'm gonna vomit" Anthony teases and she smacks his chest. If she didn't Jayden would have.

We continue to walk around before finding a place to sit down and eat. We order our food and Jayden explains to her sisters what tonight was going to be like. I've never been to a album release party but I was excited.

After dinner we head back to the apartment to change for the show tonight. I stay in my outfit and let Jayden go do whatever she feels she needs to do to get herself pretty. Well prettier. I stay back with Mandy and Winnie while everyone else changed.

"So Winnie, what's it like in New York" I ask. I know what Mandy thinks but there's a big difference in being a model and being a lawyer.

"Cold usually" she replies and I raise a eyebrow.

"Ignore her, she thinks she's a cold blooded reptile" Mandy claims.

"At least I know I'm cold and I don't act like everyone loves me" Winnie shoots back. I was sensing some kind of sibling tension going on here.

Thankfully the door opens right in time and the rest of her family joins us. Jayden comes over and I smile big.

"You look so incredibly beautiful" I say tucking a curl behind her ear.

"Thank you. I'm really happy you could be here for this" she admits.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world" I assure her.