Heating Up

The following morning, a Tuesday, Manny was laying at home since football practice had ended early today. Manny was laying on the couch watching a talk show when she heard a knock on the door and the doorbell ring. Manny waited a few seconds before realizing no one was home with her.

She pulled herself up off the couch and shuffled towards the door. She put her hands over her 27 week pregnant belly as she got to the door. Manny could hear the person knocking again so she just pulled the door open.

"Chill out." Manny breathed. She looked up to see Jacob standing on the other side with his arms in his pockets and his hair slicked back from his sweat from practice.

Manny stared at him for a moment before closing the door and walking back towards the living room. She didn't get to far before hearing more knocking on the door. Manny sighed, got her thoughts straight, and went back to the door.

"What?" Manny asked, leaning against the now open door and staring at the white boy in front of her.

Jacob gave her a friendly smile. "Mateo told me to stop by after practice to pick up the playbook. He home yet?"

"No." Manny answered coldly. "Go away."

When she tried to close the door, Jacob put his hand it to hold it open. "Do you know when he's gonna be back?"

"Nope. But you're welcome to sit on the porch. I'll give you some water if you want it."

Jacob shrugged and sighed. "Fine. I'll just sit...on the porch....in the 105 degree heat."

Manny smiled back as she pulled the door to and went inside. Jacob sat down on the porch and looked around at the birds flying in the sky since it was too hot for people to be just walking outside. Jacob started cracking his knuckles when he felt a cold sensation falling over his back and shoulders.

Jacob jumped up and turned around to see Manny finishing pouring ice water in a cup on him. She stood there smiling widely with her hip sticking out making her red and orange sundress fall over her legs with the slit showing off her left leg. Jacob stared at her seeing her dress had a low v neck and she wasn't wearing a bra underneath.

"Stop staring at me." Manny scoffed. "My dad'll probably be back in like 20 minutes or something. Either lay in the yard, I promise not to turn on the sprinklers, or come back later. I don't really care."

Manny didn't let him reply before she went into the house and slammed the door close and locked it. She went back into the living room and laid back down in her comfortable position. She continued to watch the talk show until it ended 45 minutes later.

Manny yawned as she took the blanket that was on the back of the couch and pulled it over her body. Before she could fall asleep for her nap, she heard a knock on the door. Manny's eyes shot open and a loud groan left her lips as she got up and went to the door.

She unlocked it and saw Jacob standing on the other side, leaning against the doorframe dripping in sweat.

"Can I come inside and wait?" Jacob asked, breathing labored breaths. "Please? It's 105 degrees out here. I'm dying."

Manny looked him up and down before letting him in. "Don't touch anything and just stand here until my dad gets here."