Last effort

Friday night came and it was the most important one for the Jaguars this season so far. It was their last home game before playoffs, if they won, they were in playoffs to try and defend their state championship.

Mateo wasn't to concerned on the rest of the team, rather on Diego who was playing his first game since breaking his neck. Mateo was a nervous reck throughout the first quarter, just watching from his spot on the sidelines with his co-workers next to him.

It was late in the first quarter and Mateo had to stop Diego right before he went onto the field. He put his hands on Diego's shoulders covered in his blue jersey.

"Listen," Mateo breathed, "I want you to take it slow, okay? Don't try and over do it to prove to us that you can play. And please, for the love of god please, get off the field if you feel pain."

Diego chuckled and nodded his head as he put on his helmet. "I got you. It's all good. I feel great. No pain, nothing. I'm fine."

Mateo didn't get a chance to reply by the time Diego ran off onto the field and to his spot on the line of scrimmage. Mateo stood in his spot and watched in silence as the play started.

"Don't worry, boss man." Victor assured him. "He's gonna do great. Look at him go."

Mateo watched with pride as Diego rammed into an opposing player with Ethan and Stephen on his heels. The three rampaged through and got to the quarterback. Stephen hit the quarterback while Diego and Ethan hit everyone who was in their way.

"Atta boy." Mateo smirked.

~**~

By half time the Jaguars were dominating with 23-15, a close score but they hoped it wouldn't get closer. Ricky rounded up the team into the locker room and let them relax and cool down while Mateo gave them their pep talk.

Ricky walked out the locker room with a sigh and leaned against the wall next to Manny. She had one hand over her 37 week, 9 months, pregnant baby bump and the other hand holding Clover's phone.

"Whatcha doin'? Starting trouble?" He smirked, leaning against the wall and putting a hang on her belly.

Manny shook her head as she focused her eyes on the phone. "No. My phone died and Clover's letting me use hers. Like I'm just...." Manny let out a deep breath and glanced up at him. "I'm exhausted. I don't even feel like being here. I'm gonna take a nap and sit down. My feet and my ankles are swollen and I'm getting fatter and it's...I'm just ready to take a bath. That'll help."

Ricky chuckled as he listen to the football players yelling and shouting in the locker room. He listened to Manny's nails click against the phone screen. He glanced at the phone and saw Manny was texting Kiser Hill.

"They're talking again?" He whispered, smirking when he saw Manny shiver from his voice being close to her ear.

"He just texted her good luck about the game and I'm replying for her." Manny answered. "He's asking her to the movies for Wednesday so I'll have to ask her about that."

Nearly on cue, the football players filed out of the locker room chanting, yelling, and shouting to hype themselves up. When she saw her, Manny motioned to Clover to come closer.

The quarterback walked closer as she put in her mouth guard and put on her helmet, her ears filling with the yells of her teammates, and her brain focusing on the game and how she was going to win. When she looked at Manny she had just finished talking, so Clover nodded her head and saw Manny's face light up while leaning on Ricky to stand up straight.