The Best or Just Lucky

Friday night came like every other one for the Dallas Jaguars. Tonight was a home game. After coming onto the field and losing the coin toss, the defense started off the game for them.

Mateo stood on the sidelines with Victor by his side watching closely. He glanced back at Diego who was sitting on the bench with Jose and Jacob. Mateo looked at Victor and gently nudged him with his elbow.

"How's Diego doing?" Mateo wondered. "He getting better?"

Victor glanced at Mateo for a moment than to the defense on the field. "Yeah. He's doing...amazing. Didn't wince once, didn't slow down. If it wasn't for Danny saying he's not ready to play, that his neck won't hold up, I would've guessed he could play."

"Good." Mateo smiled. "I'm glad." He glanced back again but this time he saw Diego talking to Ricky.

Ricky laughed as Diego kept joking around. Neither one of them moved from the bench as they saw their teammates walking pass going from their home crowd to the sidelines. Diego leaned his head back and saw Clover and Manny together in the grass space behind them. They were close enough that they could hear what they were talking about, but far enough that they had their own spaces.

Ricky looked back and smiled seeing Manny and Clover laughing as Manny fixed Clover's braids. His smile faded when he saw Manny waving Danny over to them when he walked pass. Ricky's blood boiled when he saw Danny leaning over Clover's shoulder and wrapping his arm around her shoulders as he talked to them for a couple minutes than to get his medical equipment he needed on the sidelines leaving.

"Hey."

Ricky snapped his head back to Diego who was sitting next to him. Diego nodded his head towards Mateo who was calling Ricky's name.

"Go help Danny! Since you ain't doing anything!" Mateo yelled at him, not giving him time to protest before he turned his attention to the game where he yelled at the defense along with Victor.

Ricky pushed himself off the bench and walked off to the athletic building where Danny was already inside. He dragged his feet against the floor and out the hood of his hoodie over his hair on his walk to the trainer's room. He ignored Danny talking to him as he picked up the first aid kits that he needed to carry.

"So you're not gonna listen or talk back?" Danny scoffed, watching Ricky walk pass him.

Ricky didn't reply and walked out. When Danny grabbed what he needed, he followed Ricky back to the field. By the time they got back to the benches, the offense was on the field and the defense was littering the sidelines.

"Just put them—" Danny was interrupted by Ricky just dropping the boxes down on the ground and walking around. "You're a real mature person, you know."

Ricky stopped in his tracks and looked back at Danny. He glared at him with a death glare. "I don't give a fuck what you think about me." And turning around and walking off

Danny ignored his first comment to him all night and just picked up the medical equipment and made sure Ricky didn't break anything.

~**~

At halftime, the Jaguars were leading the game against a suburban team with a score of 35-0. Mateo let them hang out in the locker room with Ricky looking over them since he knew it was best if when they're having a good game, they encouraged each other.

Stephen walked over to his friends who were sitting down on the bench with them. Diego was the only who wasn't covered in sweat and breathing labored breaths. Stephen gave them all a look which made them pay attention.

"What's with you?" Clover wondered, reaching towards Stephen's face and pushing his hair off his forehead.

Stephen chuckled then pointed to Diego. "Rumors floating around the defense. Apparently, Lo's taking Mila out on a date after the game tonight. And this rumor...isn't much of a rumor. I asked him and he said he asked her out yesterday."