Part 40

Days turn into weeks, and before I know it, another month has passed. Prince and I have managed fall into some semblance of a routine. With the backyard garden completed, and growing nicely, we're able to both relax and enjoy it during our quiet times at home. The garden has become a sanctuary for us, so much so that on two occasions, just after dark, we have been compelled to make love on a blanket laid out under the canopy of trees in the secluded area just beyond the water feature.

In Prince's continuing effort to be home with me in the evenings has altered his work schedule from the late evenings/early mornings, he now makes it a point to be home no later 1 am. On the one day a week I'm scheduled to work at the shop, he will pull an all-nighter at Paisley, knowing I have to be up and out early in the morning. I'm finding he has absolutely no desire to be at our house if I'm not there for company.

Marcus now makes regular weekend trips to Tennessee, and has been somewhat distracted since he returned from helping Angel move. I don't ask Marcus any personal questions, but in my phone conversations with Angel, I can tell that things are getting pretty serious between them and their distance apart is growing more difficult. I can't help but wonder where this is all going to lead, but I pray that it all works out for the best. Angel is content and loving living at my house, sending me pictures of the garden as it progresses through the summer, and asking tons of flower questions. Derik is thriving, with the freedom of the large yard, he's happy to spend hours outside with Angel. She says he's always running and playing now, instead of just sitting and watching the television.

Kirk continues to be more personable with me, and makes the effort to strike up conversations when I'm around. This in itself has eased the tension that had started to build between the two men, making them both less irritable. It pleases me to hear them joking and cutting up, Prince is as free and animated with him as he is with me, which tells me their friendship is genuine. Even if I still feel slighted guarded around Kirk, I can respect that they have a long history with each other and I refuse to interfere.

My 'job' at The Garden by the Woods has been a Godsend, helping me stay grounded, because, sometimes, being in Prince's world, it's easy to lose touch with reality. In just a couple weeks time, I had managed to pick on the shop's business in and outs so well, that Margaret leaves me in charge on the days I'm scheduled. This frees her up to be more hands-on with her landscaping and tutorial endeavors.

My flexibility to volunteer at the Arboretum has enabled me to log more hours per week than I originally expected, I love the time I spend there almost as much as the time I spend in my own garden. Especially on the days that Prince returns home to find me gone, he will casually stroll through looking for me totting his guitar case. There's been many times that fellow volunteers as well as visitors to the Arboretum have been graced with the acoustic solos that he plays for me, sitting nearby as I work.

I honestly couldn't be happier with how things are progressing with our relationship, especially since Prince seems as content as I am, even his sporadic mood swings have tapered.

*******

I smile as Prince lifts his head to look at me, gazing into his eyes as his body rests on top of mine. We have just finished making love, and his forehead is covered with beads of perspiration, he's radiant, I think. "Good morning, Sugar," he laughs as he presses a kiss to my lips.

"Good morning, indeed," I wink.

I watch as he lifts off of me, my satisfaction quickly turns to disappointment when I spot the slight trace of red that glistens on his penis as he pulls free. He looks down quickly, confused by my reaction, then he frowns, too.