Part 52

With me secured in the back of the limo, Kim is off like a flash, I know she has to get ready herself before the ceremony starts. I do feel like Cinderella, I think to myself, as I smooth and fuss with my dress in the back of the limo.

It takes about thirty minutes to get to the vineyard but it feels more like an hour.  When the limo pulls in I can see most of the wedding's setup is complete and that the photographer is already taking pictures. 

Prince is the first one at my door, and he pauses until the photographer is ready to shoot.  I hear the camera's shutter clicking away as Prince assists me as I step from the limo.  As soon as I step into view, Angel covers her mouth and starts fanning herself, trying her best not to cry and ruin her makeup. "Oh, my, God, you look like a princess!"  Prince and I both flash a look at each other over her obvious description, and the expression of oh-no-she-didn't on both of our faces makes it impossible for us to contain our laughter. So, I know we got at least one good photo of us all cutting up outside the limo. 

With all compliments aside, it's photo time. There are shots with me and Angel alone, then Derik with us, then every other different combination with Prince and Kirk that you could think of.  Angel was right as I watch Derik zoom around, he's so handsome in his little pinstriped suit.  Kirk's suit is a much larger version of Derik's, but he looks handsome as well. 

As I stand and look at how wonderful everyone looks, Kirk and Derik in their dark suits, Prince in his tux and Angel in her long, flowing dress, my ethnicity starts to make me feel like I stand out like an unwanted weed

As I stand and look at how wonderful everyone looks, Kirk and Derik in their dark suits, Prince in his tux and Angel in her long, flowing dress, my ethnicity starts to make me feel like I stand out like an unwanted weed.  As soon as the thought passes through my head, I see Prince's eyes shift towards me. His hand touches my elbow, "Excuse us, please," and he steers me away. 

"You okay?" He studies me.

"Yeah," as I try to clear my thoughts.  An eyebrow raises and his chin comes down, he's not buying it.  "I'm so white", I explain. 

"Really?" I can tell he's perturbed, but he stays calm.  "You just now noticed this?"

"No, I'm pretty sure I've known for a while now," I joke, because I soon realize I'm being ridiculous.  "I'm sorry, these thoughts just  pop into my head and..."

"And you feed them," he finishes for me, and he's absolutely correct. He lifts my chin with his finger, "Stop feeding them."  He taps my nose with his index finger, and leads me back to the group. 

After just a few minutes longer, a small band starts to play, Prince looks panicked, "We've got to hide you, we can't have people seeing you before the wedding."  I'm lead into the barn, when Prince turns, I get shivers.  "Are you ready for this, Sugar?"

"Yes," I smile as I nod, my eyes scanning his. With every fiber of my being, I am so ready to walk down that aisle, I think as I blink back tears. 

"Alright, there's no turning back now," he jokes cockily. 

"Not a chance, Mister," I can tell he wants to kiss me but he fights it, for now, anyway. 

"I know we didn't rehearse it, but I thought it would be nice if Marcus gave you away."

I nod enthusiastically, then tilt my head up quickly, using my fingers to blot the tears at the corners of my eyes like Kim had done earlier. 

"Marcus will come for you when we're ready," he stops at the barn door, "See you soon, Mrs. Nelson." 

He blows me a kiss and disappears through the opening.