Punishment

Kakashi had led the way to the Anbu base without much time to spare. Danzo was standing in his usual center platform in front of the other Anbu members. As you two walked up to join the group, it seems they were being dismissed already. You and Kakashi stood there confused, wondering why everyone was leaving. Both of you look to Danzo for explanation.

"You two will stay." Danzo pushed out. "Everyone else passed their training today so they were dismissed. Both of you however, failed, and will face consequences."

You shot a look of worry at Kakashi. His face held no emotion but you saw a bead of sweat forming on his temple. With a silent gulp you looked back to Danzo, who was moving closer to the two of you.

"I'm sure you're both wondering what kind of punishment I have in mind." He spoke with a sense of power, a light smile forming. "I've decided that your punishment will be in the form of a mission."

Dozens of questions popped into your head. A mission? That seemed like it would hardly be a form of punishment. Looking back at Kakashi you could feel his energy change. His eyes grew concerned, and his body was stiff. Danzo felt the sense of question in the air and continued:

"Of course, it won't be your average mission. Perhaps you could even say it just might be the mission you two will dread completing the most." Danzo turned away, seemingly trying to hide the humor in his eyes as he spoke. "Because of the attachments you have towards one another, and the inability to sever them with your own will, I have no choice but to sever them against your will. You two will leave for a mission tomorrow morning, but only one of you will be returning."

Your heart was heavy. What did Danzo mean by severing our attachments? You're body was shaky and your mind was flooding with overwhelming questions of concern. You tried speaking but Danzo continued.

"I'll brief both of you in the morning and give details over your task. For now, do your best to sleep. It may be the last time you're able to ya know." He finished, dismissing us with those words. You and Kakashi stood there silently, taking in what was said, and thinking about what was to come.

"Let's get some rest (y/n)." You jumped at Kakashi's unexpected words. He placed his hand on the top of your head and gave you a little pat along with a smile. "Don't worry about the mission, it won't be anything we can't handle."

His words brought you comfort. Maybe you were just worrying too much. After a second pat from Kakashi you both of you headed home, doing your best to be optimistic.