War Mission 1: Start

Your eyes lit up when you saw a shinobi with sharp grey hair striding towards the door you were standing at. It was early, but you were wide awake with the anticipation of being with him again.

He was reading his little novel that he always reads. His head glanced up over the pages of his book and he saw you waiting for him. Quickly the book was closed and packed away back into his pocket. His pace increased a little.

When he got to you, his hand gently caressed the back of your head. Slight pressure pulled your face into his chest. When you looked up at him, his eyes were smiley and he spoke.

"My my my...I can feel a difference in you already (y/n)." His hand stroked your hair as it glided down and into his pocket. "You have this confidence about you that you didn't have before...it's pretty hot actua-"

He was cut off by the Hokages door opening. The two of you took a step back and blushed. No one had ever seen y'all touch before. You were worried how Sarutobi would react.

"What's that look on your faces for? Hmm?" He looked genuinely confused as to why you had this surprised and embarrassed look on your faces. "Come on then!" He said bluntly to the silence as he turned away. Kakashi and yourself scurried in behind him.

"I have to make it quick, there are other matters I need to tend to." The Hokage spoke swiftly. "Your mission is to scout the Land of Ash. There are reports of two injured Anbu members that are taking refuge there."

"Do we attack to run them off or to kill?" Kakashi's voice was bland. He was just as serious as Sarutobi.

"No. You mustn't let them know you are there. I want you to follow them. One of them is reportedly seriously injured, so they may return to their base. We need to know where the base is, so that's your end goal. In case a battle is forced upon the two of you then you have permission to take them out. Otherwise, do your best to avoid detection."

The conversation ended there. He swatted the two of you away and shut the door behind you.

"I wander why he's so stressed today." You mumbled to Kakashi.

"Hmm..maybe because we're at war?" His voice was snarky and he laughed as you shot him a look of annoyance.

The two of you strolled along the forest, making your way to your destination. You talked mostly about food the entire journey, but also about how the village is coming together during the war.

"Well, even war has its upside. It strengthens the bonds in our community. Sure, it's dangerous and risky to The Leaf, but at the end of it all we are more united than ever. It's the one thing I like about times like this. Oh, and I get to spend time with you (y/n)."

"I guess you're right." You smiled and tried to play it cool. On the inside his comments like that made you blush, but on the outside you kept talking to play it off. "Plus, we get to put our training to use!"

"Yeah, I'm ready for some actio-" he stopped mid sentence. His eyes were widened a bit as he looked at you. In a split second, he was hunched over the ground. You moved with him quickly and joined him below.

"Shh. Do you feel that?" He asked. His breath was short. You felt for what he was feeling. In the air you felt an unnerving feeling growing near. You wandered how you could have missed such a strong chakra nearby. Even with all your training with the Hokage, Kakashi was still more advanced when it came to being alert of his surroundings.

The chakra in the area was gurgling and overflowing with a darkness. It wasn't anyone you recognized that's for sure. What was more surprising and scar is that someone with that strength wasn't even trying to hide the presence of their energy.

The two of you sat in silence for what felt like forever. However, after only a few seconds, both of your bodies froze in response to a voice coming from someone right behind you.

"Hmph. How pathetic."