Dread

Morning came all too soon. Before you knew it, you and your partner were standing in front of Danzo. Every second before he spoke felt like an eternity, but finally he approached with his words.

"You both know I'm not the type to beat around the bush, so I'll just go on and tell you strait away what you two are required to do." He started with a flat tone and finished with one of a mocking nature, handing us each a file. "You are both to travel to the forbidden lands outside of Konoha. The details are in the paperwork, but there you will find a very valuable person. A person who must be rescued no matter the cost. One of you will use jutsu to fool the captors into thinking you are their original hostage. Meaning that one of you will bring the hostage safely back here, and the other will stay behind as the impersonator."

You and Kakashi stood there, slightly confused but still concerned. Why was this the mission selected for both of you as punishment? Why did either of you have to stay when both of you could escape with the hostage and get away all together? Your puzzled look urged Danzo to explain further.

"In case you were wondering, the reason one of you must stay is because the hostage you are impersonating is of great status. They are scheduled to make a forced speech to a vast group of people only hours after you are to bring them back here. If they do not show their face it could lead to an assortment of conflict, possibly even a war. Don't worry about what to say, there's a script in those files for both of you."

Sweat trickled down your forehead with the registration of those final words. You were able to muster up some courage to squeeze out another question Danzo hadn't yet addressed.

"Sir, have you chosen which of us will be the impersonator and which will come back here with the hostage?" Your voice was shaky.

Danzo answered with a subtle smirk. "No, im leaving that decision up to the two of you. I shall not be the one that chooses which of you live or die."

"Sir." Kakashi finally speaks. "Am I missing something? You keep saying one of us will die, but with the mission you've given us I don't see why that has to happen. Whoever impersonates the hostage can just escape shortly after the speech."

"Ahh. Silly boy. If that were the case, this wouldn't be very difficult, much less a punishment. The impersonator will be killed. Five S-Rank ninja are set to assassinate the hostage during his speech."

"A-and how do you know that?" Kakashi asked with a look of disbelief.

"Well, I gave them the order." Danzo answered.

And then you knew. You knew that was the punishment. Not only were one of you going to die, but you both had to decide who it was going to be. You knew in your heart you could never send Kakashi to his death, but did you have the strength to send yourself to your own?