Four: The Call

Present Time

"What the hell was that on the dance floor?" Ian asked me. We were standing outside with Anthony in the car and I had my arms crossed still. I knew I was caught out on the dance floor and I was ashamed of it. "Do you know you could've been caught?"

"Apparently, I already have been," I said. He just shook his head and I groaned. "Ian, I made a mistake! What more do you want me to say?"

"Veronica, I understand what you two are going through, but you had no right to just dance with another guy on the dance floor. Especially if the guy is someone Anthony works with."

"Ian, I'm not perfect, okay?" I said. "I was upset over the fact Anthony and I aren't as happy as we use to be and this was my way of letting go. It was wrong of me to do this and I'm sorry. Nobody else saw this, right?"

"Not that I'm aware of," he told me. "And I'm sure as hell not going to say anything because that'll bite me on the ass later on." I slightly nodded and looked down at the ground. "Come on. Let's get him home and into bed."

He turned away from me and walked over to the drivers side while I got into the passenger seat. I looked out the window to see Shayne standing outside. I slightly waved to him and looked down at the floor. I was really disappointed in myself. I've never done something like that in any relationship I have been in. What was it about Shayne Topp that made me like this?

And why all of a sudden now?

Ian pulled off and we started driving back to my house. Maybe Shayne and I are like this now only because of my problems with Anthony. Maybe it's because I'm not as happy anymore and Shayne is trying to help me out. Or me and Shayne are too scared to actually admit how we really feel and we hide it by doing this.

There's so many possibilities and I didn't know what to think.

Ian turned down his radio and glanced at me while I looked at the time. It was almost midnight. Shayne and I were dancing for that long? How long was I really away from Anthony? "You two going to be okay?" Ian asked.

"Yeah," I replied. "Usually when he does this, I just lay him in bed and put a bucket next to him." Ian nodded and kept looking at the road. "I'm sorry if I ruined tonight."

"You didn't," he stated. "It was kind of boring."

"How did that happen?" I asked as I pointed at Anthony.

"Boze was trying to stop Tristan from taking shots from Joven and one of the shots got passed down to Anthony," Ian said. "Anthony had only taken one shot when I had last saw him and all of a sudden, Boze comes up to me with a very drunk Tristan and tells me that I need to take Anthony home."

"Fuck, I hope Tristan gets home okay," I said.

"I believe Boze was taking him home," he pointed out. Well Tristan's wildest dream came true and he is going to be too drunk to remember it. "Lasercorn left after the first hour since he was wanted to get home to his son where Joven wanted to keep the party going." I shook my head. "Will you be okay?"

"I'll be fine," I stated. "I just hate when he drinks like that."

"Is that why you did what you did?" Ian asked me. I looked back at Anthony who was unconscious. I leaned my head back on the seat and just looked at Ian. "It's just a question, V."

"I don't know what to do, Ian," I said to him. "My head is telling me to stay with Anthony and that it's the right decision."

"But your heart?"

I sighed. "It's telling me to let go," I said.

"So why are you holding on?"

"For you," I said. "For Courtney, for Olivia, for Mari, for Noah, for literally everyone. Everyone single one of you mean so much to me and everyone single one of you expect Anthony and I to be together forever. I keep living that life because it's expected. And I live that life to keep Anthony happy."