Forty Seven: Sticking Together

The sound of the ringing on my phone was soothing although the feeling on my cracked phone up against my ear was making it harder for me to enjoy the sound. I don't even know how my phone was even working after last night, but I knew I was going to have to get a new one soon or at least fix the screen to this one. "Elliot Ryder speaking," he answered.

"Wow, so professional," I said to him with a slight smile.

Elliot chuckled and I heard him sigh. "Yeah, well I try to be, but I'm not just all business man. I can be chill sometimes."

"Somehow I don't believe that," I said with a faint laugh. He chuckled and I threw the business card on the bed and ruffled my hand through my hair. This conversation was getting awkward which made it harder to tell him why I was calling.

"So did you call me to tell me what your choice is?" Elliot asked me.

Well that was easy.

"Yeah, I did," I replied, but I didn't know how to say it. I just kept thinking about the argument last night with Shayne and all the shit he said to me when I was thinking about not going, but  now I had no reason to stay here. It's time for a change. "Can I still take the offer?"

"Of course!" Elliot ecstatically said. "I'm actually surprised you want the offer, but this is fantastic." I slightly chuckled and looked down at the blankets on me. "If you don't mind me asking, what made you take the offer?"

I started playing with the string on the bed and tried finding the words to tell him, but it felt like there was something caught in my throat that made it impossible to tell him. Apart of me was definitely struggling to say the truth, but I couldn't lie to Elliot. "Shayne and I broke up last night, and I just feel like leaving here will be better for me. I need the change."

"Well I'm glad you made this decision and I'm also very happy that Shayne won't drag you down any longer," Elliot stated. A tear slowly went down my cheek, but I wiped it.

"Yeah," was all I could say at the moment.

"So I'll send you more details after we get off here, but the next flight to Toronto is Monday night and I hope you'll have enough time to get a ticket since it's Friday," Elliot said.

"I'll get it figured out. You have nothing to worry about," I told him. "I doubt a lot of people in Los Angeles are leaving Monday night to go to Toronto."

"You'd be surprised," Elliot admitted with a chuckle. "Alright, I have to go. I'll send you more information on the flight."

"Okay, thank you," I said to him. I pulled my phone away from my ear and hung the phone up, but when I looked up from the phone, I looked to see Tristan standing in the doorway. How do I never hear him?

"You're actually moving to Canada?" Tristan asked me.

"Yep," I said as I got up from the bed. "You heard what Shayne said last night. He doesn't care if I leave so I will."

"You're doing it as a revenge thing?"

"No, but I am just trying to have a better life, Tristan. I deserve it."

"Yeah, with Shayne," he added.

"No, not with Shayne," I stated. "I didn't choose to end things; he did and I'm not going to sit on my bed crying my eyes out over a guy who doesn't want to be with me." Tristan just looked at me and I could feel my heart starting to hurt. "I just have to move on, Tristan. And you never know, maybe something can come in the future, but I doubt it. If Shayne and I were suppose to be together, then we would be, but he was right about one thing last night; it was too good to be true."