A New Year

"I don't know about this guys." I whined and they both just rolled their eyes.

"Come on, Vee. I've been told that Justin Hammer's parties are so dope!" Wanda chirped and I raised my eyebrow and crossed my arms.

"No they aren't. They suck." I shrugged, throwing myself on my bed.

"Come on! It's New Year's Eve! Don't be a buzzkill." Wanda scolded me like a 3-year-old.

"Will..he be there?" I asked them and they both dropped their dresses and stayed silent.

"Ugh..."

"Look, you can't avoid him forever." Natasha retorted.

"Speaking of...is he back with Pepper?" Wanda asked and I found myself listening to them closely.

"I don't know...she's been around him a lot these past few days." Nat shrugged. "And even if she's not around, he's busy screwing some other woman."

My heart sank and I was angry that I felt that way in the first place. My eyes clenched shut in annoyance, and I spoke up.

"Fine." I shrugged my voice flat. "Let's go pick up some dresses."

****
{11:00 p.m}

<Hammer's Party>

"I must say, you really look beautiful

"I must say, you really look beautiful." Vision complemented Wanda, who blushed vigorously.

"Well, I'll leave you to it." I told them, but being lost in each other's eyes, they refused to acknowledge me.

Looking around the place, I spotted plenty of familiar faces. For instance, Bruce was busy following Nat around like a lost puppy, Pepper was clinging to Tony's arm, and Steve looked so miserable as he sat by the bar observing everyone else.

Deciding to accompany the soldier, I slid in the seat next to him and smiled.

"Boo!"

"Hey, Valentina." He sighed sadly, probably remembering how he failed to defend me.

"Steve...we've been through this. It wasn't your fault." I grabbed his arm, and he smiled gratefully at me.

"So, how are things between you and Stark?" He asked in amusement and my face dropped.

"We...uh...well we aren't exactly on speaking terms." I shrugged.

"Oh...I'm sorry I thought...."

"It's fine, so is there something going on between you and...Shannon was it?"

"Sharon." He corrected with a blush and I laughed.

"Look at you." I smiled. It's great that he actually found someone.

Every breath you take started playing in the background, and I shut my eyes, and enjoyed the song, but my mood suddenly dropped as I saw Pepper dragging Tony to the dance area.