Midnight Tears

It's been a few weeks since Tony's birthday party, and it wasn't getting better.

Nothing was going to get better.

My tears soaked the pillow, as I sobbed, desperately trying to cry myself to sleep.

No matter what I did, the tears just wouldn't stop falling.

My sobs were getting louder, and I reminded myself that I needed to quiet down a bit.

I didn't want Tony coming in here and asking me what was wrong with me.

Because to be quite honest...

I wouldn't know where to begin.

I wouldn't know what to say.

****

                •Tony•

I leaned against our bedroom door, and cursed, while curling my hand into a fist.

"Fucking shit." I mumbled, running a hand all over my face.

She was crying.

She's been crying everyday now.

I keep asking myself if I'm the reason, but no matter what I try to do, she was distant with me.

I knocked slowly, and when I got no reply, I tiptoed my way in, and leaned next to her sleeping self, wiping away her tears, and kissing her cheek.

It was the only time I got to be close to her.

When she was fast asleep.

Sighing in disappointment, I decided that I want-needed to sleep next to her, at least one night, for just one fucking night, I just wanted her close to me.

I positioned myself just right under the extra soft covers, and hesitantly wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her closer.

I wanted her.

I needed her.

But something was telling me that she no longer did.

****

          -The Next Morning-

"Good morning." I said with a hopeful smile, while setting down the breakfast tray.

"You burnt the omelet again?" She chuckled, while staring at the food.

"If it's any consolation, I did it myself." I raised an eyebrow, and she giggled, automatically making me sigh in relief.

This has been the first time I've heard her laugh for the past week.

"Excuse me, I need to go to the bathroom." She walked away from me, and closed the bathroom door shut.

Deciding that I should give her space, I made my way down to the lab, ready to start busying my mind to block away the thoughts of her.

"You're spending extra time down here Tony, and I'm getting worried." Banner dropped his glasses on the metal table, and raised his eyebrows.

I shrugged, not really ready to explain why I spend my time her to avoid hearing the painful sounds of my girlfriend's sobs, while I sit there outside our bedroom door every night, cursing myself for making her unhappy.

"You should spend more time with Valentina, Tony." He advised me, and at the mention of her name, I tensed.

"Tony?" He caught my sudden change of mood, and decided to pry.