How It All Began

7 years ago

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat as I avoided my mother's glare.

"Valentina...how many times...how many times have I told you not to disappear?"

"I didn't. I just went out for a little walk." I shrugged at her, and she all but scowled.

"Valen-"

"No mom! I've had enough! I'm not 6 years old anymore, I'm 28 years old, and I don't need you breathing down my neck." I raised my voice, but I immediately regretted every word I uttered once I saw the broken look on my mother's face.

"Look...I'm sorry mom. But I think I'm old enough to not have you checking up on me every five seconds." I frowned once her face fell even more.

"Mi dispiace cara." She whispered, and I hugged her.

(I'm sorry darling)

"I'm sorry too mom."

"I have to go meet Maya and Lina at the club. Are you going to be okay?"

"I'm going to be just fine." She smiled, and I grabbed my bag ready to hit the road.

****

Cringing at the smell of sweat that diffused through my nostrils, I pushed past the sweaty crowds of people that were were dancing their lives away, and made my way to my friends.

"Hey, Vee!" Lina squealed while hugging me, and I laughed.

After I ordered a drink, I slid on the nearest bar stool, and groaned.

I seriously didn't want to be here right now, but I had no choice.

It was girls night, and I just simply couldn't bail.

"Let loose, Valentina!" Maya bumped me on the shoulder, and I nodded absentmindedly, not really feeling it.

The crowd went wild from behind me, and it could only mean another song was on or a famous person walked in, but since the song was still the same it was the latter.

Frowning, I turned around and we locked eyes.

Brown to green.

He was here.

He was actually here, and he was standing right in front of me, looking so composed right now unlike our last encounter.

He refused to break eye contact, and ignored the crowd that was cheering his name.

My friends were long gone, and they joined the crowd in screaming his name, but somehow I just couldn't move.

I wasn't a fan of the man, but when we met last week I could easily say that he wasn't what everyone pictured him to be.

Behind that strong composure was a man who was grieving, a man who had his life ripped away from him.

Finally deciding that staring at him was pointless, I turned around and started sipping my drink, ignoring the crowd chanting his name.

I knew I saved my number on his phone, and I was sure that I had written in correctly, so it was absolutely his decision to call me.

I shouldn't be the least bit affected but deep down I cared, but then again what would Tony Stark do with someone like me.

Just because I helped him doesn't mean that we're friends now.

I kept repeating those words over and over again.

It was as if I was compelled to do it.

Turning around, I stole a glance at the billionaire, completely sure that he was staring at me too.

He was now seated on the couch in the corner with two girls on either side of him.

He didn't seem to be interested in them, but he was still smiling and agreeing to whatever the hell they were saying.

Deciding to call it a night, I paid for my drink, and tried to get the hell out of there, but to my dismay my two best friends were there to drag me back to the bar.

"Just let me go!" I groaned and they both laughed.

"Not going to happen. Did you not see Tony Stark or something?" Lina purred as she eye raped him, and I rolled my eyes.

"How can you not like him?" Maya asked while drooling at the genius.

I took advantage of them drooling over Tony, and got the hell out of there.

Bumping into someone on the way, I spilt my drink all over their shirt and I closed my eyes slowly, not ready to deal with an angry drunken person.

"I'm so sorry." I said, and I almost chocked on my saliva once I our eyes met.

Holy handsome.

"I...uh...I can buy you another...ehm...shirt." I stuttered and he chuckled, amused.

"That's fine. You can buy me a drink though." He winked, and I laughed.

"What's you're name, love?"

"Valentina."

"Seth. Nice meeting you."

"About that drink?"

"Let's go get it." I winked, and he chuckled while following me like a lost puppy.

I caught Maya clinging onto Tony Stark on my way to the bar, but I paid it no mind.

****

•Tony•

My eyes trailed their way back to the woman, whose name I could not remember.

You'd think after I basically showed her how pathetic I was in front of her I would remember her name, but no.

There wasn't any rumours about what I told her, so I guarantee that she in fact didn't tell anyone.

Which is funny because anyone in her place would have.

The waiter brought my drinks, and I leaned just a little bit in front to catch a good look at her face.

She was talking to some guy, and she smiled, automatically bringing a smile out of me.

I have known this woman for less than a week , and she's got me going insane.

I studied her every move, and her every reaction.

She intrigued me in every way possible.

I ran my eyes up and down her body, memorising her figure, and I turned to the waiter who was speaking to me for a few minutes now while I ignored him.

"Do you want anything else Mister Stark?" The waiter asked me one more time out of politeness, and I nodded at him with a smirk, and pointed at her.

"Her." I paused for a bit as I watched his confused expression, "I want her."

The brunette that was talking to me a few seconds ago returned with a seductive smile on her face and two glasses of champagne.

"What do you say we take this somewhere else?" She offered, and before I took my decision, my eyes trailed their way back to the woman to find her long gone.

"Your place or mine?"

****