Chapter 1 Adam

Dammit they knew we were here! They knew everything! There is no way they could had slipped by us that easily on luck alone. There was more than one traitor. The fighting didn't even last long. They gave up too easily. Within minutes they turned and ran as if some signal was sent out. None of it made sense. I radioed the back entrance and all was quiet there. Not a sign of anyone. Something was wrong. Very wrong.  

"Alpha!" One of my IT guys ran towards me flashing around a piece of paper.

"What is it Bruce?" He was wide eyed and breathless. Not a usual trait for a wolf. Grabbing the paper from his outstretched hand it took me twice to understand what I was reading. "Oh God no. Hunter!" I was running up the mountain with everything I had. Once my pack seen me they followed.

"Hunter!" I screamed again and again. "Where's Hunter!" I demanded when I reached the top. I was seeing red by this point. Rage was building. Nikko was back in human form and fully dressed. He looked as confused as I did minutes ago, now he also looked alarmed seeing me running and screaming her name. Jarek was also back in human form but was just in a pair of shorts. Seeing Grayson in his wolf form had my stomach sink. All this I registered before anyone had a chance to answer me. "Where. Is. Hunter?" I passed the paper I still had clutched in my hand to Nikko.

"With C.J. one of the wolves got jumpy and gave the sign that someone slipped by us. Before we could stop it Grayson was here with us. They are ok, Adam. The back entrance is secure. We just checked." Jarek said, looking completely confused.

"That little fucker!" Nikko burst out. I was the first one down the cavern with Nikko right behind me for only a split second before he passed me. Then it was Grayson on four legs and Jarek on two.

Nikko was screaming for Hunter. We heard nothing. Reaching the end of the tunnel we shot up the five feet to the only other opening, the one that led to the other cave entrance. This time Nikko let me take point. He didn't know his way and this was not a time to get lost. I caught Hunter's scent right away. So far she was with C.J. only. Beside me was Grayson, nose to the ground. Seconds turned in long agonizing minutes. In reality it was probably less than five minutes but for someone who was most likely missing every second counted.

Grayson caught something, he bolted ahead then stopped cold. The mournful whimper I heard from him had my heart sink right before he let out the most dreadful howl. That's when I smelt it. Blood. Hunter's blood. There, a small pool of blood was on the dirt floor and beside it was my brother's choker. The choker Hunter had not taken off since John gave it to her. The choker that belong to her father. My baby brother.

The pool of blood wasn't life threatening by no means but it was still her blood. The only way it could get there was if she was hurt and was laying here. Grayson was up and running as soon as we seen the blood. I picked up the choker and followed. He was on their trail. It wasn't that old. Maybe 30 minutes tops. We still had time. I wasn't sure what way Grayson was going, this was not the way to the other entrance. I wasn't familiar at all with the way he was leading us but I trusted him. He knew Hunter's scent better than all of us. But I was starting to get worried as the minutes passed by. I couldn't radio anyone since there wasn't enough signal. I didn't have a clue where we would end up. What kept me moving forward was the only fact that I still trusted Grayson to find her. To get us out of this hell hole.

I was about ready to lose my mind when I finally noticed the air change. Fresh air was getting to this part of the tunnel and less than a minute later I could see light. Sun light. There was a third entrance that none of us knew about. Well not none of us. They knew. Back outside my heart sunk even further. There was tracks. Vehicle tracks. They were no longer on foot. The chances of us tracking them in a vehicle dropped drastically.

"Will someone please tell the rest of us what the hell is going on?" I was surprised Jarek was able to keep his calm this whole time. Although by the look of him he was ready to snap.

Nikko was fuming. I was about to lose it completely, the only thing that kept me from doing just that was knowing we weren't that far behind them. Grabbing the 2-way I changed the channel. Only my brother, Cal, Amanda, and Nikko knew about. "RW is gone. West side of the mountain. Not on foot. 20 minutes jump start. Only the ones you would trust your daughters with. We have a breach." I then looked at Jarek and Grayson. "We thought we might have had a traitor. We now know for sure. Unfortunately we found out too late. James is not dead. He killed them all. C.J. has her. They betrayed and stolen from our pack. Punishment is death!"

Grayson was on the dirt path before I finished. Jarek dove off the ledge and shifted in midair. I know I would have appreciated that more at a different time. They would stay on that trail till their paws were bloody stumps. I had faith in that.

"We're coming for you Sweetheart. Keep fighting." I prayed those words would reach her.