Chapter 8 Adam

Tempers were hot. Patients were non-existent. It wasn't just me and the ones who were closest to her. It was all my pack that was here and from what I had seen it was Nikko's as well. Was it that mine and Nikko's pack were feeding off our emotions or was it that Hunter, even after such a short time being with us, had bonded with us, bonded with our packs to such a degree that it was running havoc. We needed to get her back and fast. Not just for my sake but for the sake of the pack's.  

"Anything? Did Vic get anything?" Grayson was drilling Nikko. I, personally, was surprised at the patience Nikko held with Grayson.

Where Grayson, his usual quiet self was anything but. Jared just paced faster and farther away from his dad. He knew as soon as there was something to tell Nikko would say it. I couldn't blame Grayson, we were all ready to move but it was touchy. We couldn't afford to move into early or too close till the time was right. We needed to hear something from Hunter or Nikko to have a vision. I was betting on the former.

"Grayson," Ok maybe he wasn't as patient as I thought. He growled. "When myself or my son know anything I will tell you all immediately."

"Come on Grayson let's take a quick run to the road and back." Jared surprised me once again with the way he was acting around Grayson.

Not too long ago they were practically at each other's throats. Now they seemed to tolerate each other. Friends even. The more I seen them together the closer they got, where everyone else snapped at each other. Those two just grew closer and closer. I think now was a good time to figure out why. I knew I should leave well enough alone but since I couldn't find Hunter at this moment I would find out about this.

"Nikko?" The boys were gone but would be back in a few minutes. The run to the road wasn't far and wouldn't take long to see if there was any movement we needed to know. "I was wondering if you can tell me what's going on between them?" I looked toward the direction the boys just left.

Nikko followed my eyes and stared for a minute. "You may not like the answer." He warned me before going on. "I believe they both came to the conclusion they can't live without Hunter and that she cannot live without them. I also believe they made another decision but were waiting for Hunter to have the final say. The night when we caught them all off guard by the water was the night I knew things were changing. No, Jared has not told me anything but I can see it in his eyes. They both seem...stronger. More determined. Their working together gives me hope for the rest of us. I also wonder if what is happening has affected Grayson's ability to change with more grace and speed. I know...I know..." He kept on talking when I was going to protest. "You don't want her to choose a mate never mind two but I wonder if she, them, or even us really had a choice to begin with. Does it really have to be a concern now?"

I knew he was right about all those things even if I was doing everything to fight it. Hunter was too young to have a mate, never mind two of them. But what they had didn't mean it would happen next week. Nikko was right, it was time to get Hunter back than talk about the boys. He was also right that we never did have much choice on who are mates were.

"Nikko's right," John spoke up for the first time since we realized Hunter was gone. It shocked us all into a dumb silence. "We don't choose our mates. Its nature. No point in fighting what is meant to happen even if we don't like it."

"John, how are you doing?" I asked. Nervous and cautious about his reaction.

He stared right into my eyes expressionless. "I am pissed and scared. Those SOB's killed my wife, my mate, and now they have my baby girl. I want to rip out their throats." His voice stayed monotone. That scared me more than anything.

"John..." I called after him but he just kept on walking. Shutting us all out. Again.

"Adam?" Nikko didn't bother to try to cover his concern. "He's..."

"I know...I know." This time it was me cutting him off. John was losing it and it was only a matter of time before his wolf would take over and kill anyone he thought was the enemy without a second thought. That would break him completely and utterly.

The rustle of clothes brought my attention back to Nikko. He was throwing his clothes to the ground while Vic, in his wolf form, stood beside him staring off at nothing. I knew that look. He had something. Now the hard part, waiting.

It was then my phone went off. It was on silent but anyone close enough could still hear the vibrations. Walking away, giving Nikko and his son the space to concentrate on what they were doing. Moving quickly and about 20 feet away I finally answered my phone on the fourth ring. "Hello?"

"Adam? It's Jack. You called." Jack the Alpha from Ontario. I left a message for him a few hours ago.

"Thanks for getting back to me." Now I had him on the phone I was not sure what to ask. How to ask. Adding yet another pack to our situation was a risk but I was pretty positive I could trust Jack and his pack. I was quiet for too long, Jack called my name again. "Yes I am here. Listen I have a...delicate situation here...and you may have some information that may or may not help." That was pretty damn vague but this was a delicate subject.

Jack laughed, he sounded tired but amused. I knew it was nothing that I said or anything from our past so it must be an inside joke. I was starting to get annoyed while he was laughing. This was not the time and my patience were running thin.

Down to a chuckle he finally started to talk. "I am sorry about that Adam. I meant it with no disrespect. I can just very much relate with delicate situations. I will help if I can. I do owe you one."

Now it was my turn. A bubble of laughter came out remembering what that "owe you one" was about. "Boys will be boys. So how is your Pack doing?" I had a moment to spare to actually go through the niceties.

This time there was no laughter. He sighs before answering. "Better, overall. Changes and challenges the past year but we are pulling through. Now what can I do for you?"

That was one of the many things I respected about Jack, he cut the bullshit when the time was right. "Ok I have a couple questions for you. The first is do you know a Samantha McDowell?" There was dead silence over the phone. I thought we lost the connection till I heard him take a deep breath.

"Yes. Why?" His light tone completely faded and now was almost harsh but definitely cautious.

Now that perked up my interest. A lot. I knew when I had to tread carefully and this was the time. It was then I realized not only had Grayson and Jarek returned, Nikko was back on two feet and they were all close and listening to my phone conversation. "Would you please ask her if she knew a William Whyte? It would have been around 17 to 18 years ago. Then get back to me as soon as you can. I really appreciate the help with this. It personally means a lot to me." I hope adding the last would help.

"Your brother? May I ask why?" He was still being cautious but I had peaked his interest. I hoped that was all it would take.

"Yes my brother. If she did know him and willing to talk to me I will tell you everything." Now I got mixed feelings about from Nikko and the group that was surrounding me.

Are you sure about this? It was Nikko's voice I heard ringing in my head. The shock of it had my head snap up and I looked at him. To the stillness of his body and the slight widening of his eyes I think it surprised him too that I heard what he asked. There were bigger issues at this very moment so I gave a quick nod and went back to giving Jack my full attention.

Jack still had not responded. I wanted to say something but I knew he, like me would not be pushed for a request no matter. Finally he said, "Can you give me a few minutes? I can either call you back or I can put you on hold. Samantha is here so it should not take long to find out.

I let out the breath I did not realize I was holding. "Yes. I will wait on the line." If I remember correctly Jack was never one for the best phone etiquette. Without another word there was a click and music played.