Chapter 27 Hunter

It had been an hour since I woke up from my dream or whatever it was. I couldn't shake the feeling that is was something more. Restless I decided to get dress and leave my room to see what else was to be seen. Last night at dinner I wasn't in the mood to look around plus add in the fact that at least 50 other wolves were around and just kept on staring at me as if they wanted to see what trick I could do. I was a female born wolf not Houdini!

Slipping out my door was easy, no one was laying in wait in the hallway. Deciding to start on a safe route first I followed the hall and made it to the stairs and head down. So far so good, there was no one. Now in the foyer I actually thought about leaving out the front door but then remembered the gate and the guards that were posted there yesterday when we first got here. So that plan was out. Hanging to the left I walked through a sitting room and went through the next door I seen. The formal dining room. Still no one in sight. I started to relax but kept my movements as quiet as I could. The next door lead me to a huge kitchen.

Still nobody insight I figured a little food couldn't hurt. There were apples and oranges in a bowl on the island but my stomach wanted something more. Heading for the industrial size fridge I opened it and spotted some left over fried chicken from last night's dinner. Taking the plate I quietly rummaged through some cupboards till I found the plates and glasses. A couple minutes later I had warmed up a couple pieces of chicken and a big glass of milk. Not my typical breakfast food but it smelled delicious.

Not wanting to wake anyone up with the smell of food I quickly found a set of patio doors and went outside. I had to admit I was a bit surprised the doors were not locked. The sun was just starting to rise and it was already warm out. It was going to be hot today. Moving onto the patio I took a set and started to eat while I looked out towards the woods where the sun was just starting to peak over the treetops. It was nice, peaceful and quiet.

"That's where the rest of the leftover chicken went too," Jonah said as he walked outside a few minutes after I sat and started to eat his own chicken. "It is going to be a beautiful day out," he announced as he stared up into the sky. "Do you mind if I join you? I see we both decided on the same breakfast." At my nod he sat down with his own plate of chicken and glass of milk.

"Who are you? I mean I know your name is Jonah, but who are you?" I was wondering that since last night. All the other wolves did not approach him last night and as long as he was beside me they did not approach me either.

He finished chewing before he spoke. "I am not the Alpha if that is what you are asking. I guess you could call me a friend of the pack."

Well that explained everything. Not. I thought on another question to ask without sounding rude but I didn't know how to put it so I gave up and went for being blunt. "Ok. So why does everyone seem..." Scared? Uneasy? "Why didn't anyone try to talk to you last night?" I think that was a safe way to put it.

It looked like he was either thinking of the question or deciding no to answer it. "I am different. I am powerful and I think that makes them nervous."

I knew there was a lot more to it than that but I also knew he wasn't going to go into any more detail. Finishing my chicken we sat in silence for awhile. It wasn't uncomfortable I just had more questions so I broke the silence. "Do you live here? Have you seen Galvin?" The second question was what I really wanted to know but I didn't want to sound to eager.

"Yes, I do live here. Well most of the time anyways. Galvin? The born? No I haven't seen him at all." Jonah replied.

It was a lie. About seeing Galvin anyways. Ok maybe not a 100% lie but he knew something about him. "Ok," I left it at that and got up to bring my plate back inside. Jonah did not follow.