Chapter 33 Sam

I sat sandwiched between my mate and Vic, holding each of their hands. Lawrence wasn't happy but he was more comfortable with it just being Vic and not Nikko around me. Once we past the diner I found Hunter's bond that much quicker. It was surprisingly easy looking for Hunter when I was holding Vic's hand. Lawrence did not need to do his mediating thing. Yes he sat beside me and had a good grip on my hand but I knew I was doing this by myself this time. I was even more comfortable talking and not worrying about losing the connection.

We stayed pretty quiet though. Just under an hour after we passed the diner Vic stiffened. I wanted to open my eyes to see what he was doing but I knew if I did I would lose the connection with Hunter.

"Dad? She's close. See that mountain on our left. We need to go there," Vic said as he talked to Nikko over the phone. There was a few yes and no's to questions I could not hear. Oh I knew I could if I paid attention but I did not want to lose my own focus. "I bet as soon as we get on that mountain we will both start to hear her. I will call when I know more." With that the call ended.

The next hour and a half was a lot of trial and error. We didn't know what road to turn off or to keep going straight. Once Vic told us we had to turn back. He couldn't explain how he knew but he said we were moving away instead of getting closer. So we all turned around and headed back. I still kept my hold on the Hunter's bond and that meant I had my eyes closed so I couldn't tell you where we were.

Vic was mumbling to himself and I wasn't really paying too much attention to him. That was until he screamed, "There! Turn there!" He startled me so much that my eyes flew open and I lost the connection with Hunter.

"Shit!" I half yelled and half moaned.

"It's ok Sam. I got it from here," Vic reassured me with a huge smile on his face. Dialing his cell phone he put it up to his ear. "I got her! You should start feeling her soon," Vic must have been talking to Nikko. "Less than 5 miles. We should pull over and park somewhere soon and walk the rest of the way."

Vic put Nikko on speaker. "Ok as soon as we can pull over and try to hide the cars then we will get out. For a narrow dirt road there seems to be a lot of tracks on it. Samantha, you are amazing. Great job!" Nikko praised me and I had to smile. I wasn't one who needed a pat on the back but damn it felt good.

"Listen we are almost going in blind since we do not have a clue what is up there so everyone stay close. I am sending out 2 teams ahead of us to scope out the area first. We need to know more before we going barging in." That was Adam.

"I agree with that," Jack added. "You will have two of my pack in each group as well. They can report back to us easier." Now I was surprised. Not that Jack was lending out his wolves but because that meant 4 less men watching me. It also showed the confidence in the men he had.

"Thank you Jack," I said. The line went dead but I wasn't worried. There was just nothing else to say till we stopped.

"You do not need to thank me. It is a practical move. You would not be allowed to go any further without us knowing what is up there," Jack explained. "I don't want to hear it Samantha," he went on before I could put my two cents in. "I said we would help and we are going to but your safety comes first and always will. So if that means me drugging you and most of us going in without you that is exactly what will happen. Lawrence and I have already discussed this." Oh he sounded a little to cocky for my liking.

I was pissed. If they thought they were going to stab me with a needle to knock me out they had another thing coming. Looking for some kind of support from my mate was short lived. He sat beside me still as a statue. He agreed to this plan and may have even been the one to come up with it. He was not happy at all that I was there. Oh he wanted to help get Hunter. That was never an issue but he wanted me safe. Ok I did understand that but seriously when are they going to learn I am not the girl that sits on the sidelines and lets everyone else have all the fun?

I sat there and didn't say a word. I let my anger fill the car. I could also feel Lawrence's anger build right beside mine. Lawrence was straddled over my legs before I even felt him move. He was even more pissed than I was. He held my face in between his hands and stared deep into my eyes.

"When are you going to get this? When are you going to finally understand," he growled and I didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

"You cannot possibly be that blind! You really don't get it do you?" Lawrence said to me as I sat still and not having a clue why he was so angry, so hurt and so disappointed. "I can't lose you. Being this close to Jonah has my stomach in knots. If I lose you I don't know what I will do," The last was whispered as bent his head closer to mine, resting his forehead against mine. "Dammit Sam. Just...please stay close to me at all times. This once please do not do anything stupid."

I was speechless. His words hit home and yes I did know what he was saying. I felt the same. But what had me speechless that he said it in front of Vic. He wasn't pack and he was showing a weakness. Lawrence never did that. He was scared. Really scared.

"Lawrence, I love you so much. I promise I will...stay close to you." This was not easy for me to do. I do not make promises I can't keep. This one was going to be tough one to keep.

The car was so quiet it made the purr of the engine seem loud, even though you could barely hear it to begin with. I didn't realize we pulled over till the car came to a halt and the others slowly got out. It was only once we were alone in the car Lawrence nodded, accepting my promise and gave me a chaste kiss before jumping out of the car.