Chapter 9 Adam

I was not sure how long I would be on hold and did not want a 100 questions so I gave them what I knew. "Yes he knows a Samantha McDowell, and yes he is asking her if she knew my brother. No I do not know anything else. I am on hold." I had to remind myself it may just not be the Samantha I knew. The Samantha my brother fell in love with and conceived a child with.

Finally after a long five minutes Jack was back on the line. It was the arguing in the background that I heard first before something crashed then Jack sighed. "Adam?"

"Still here. Everything ok over there?" There was a growl then a soft voice calling out to Samantha.

Jack let out a burst of laughter. "It is always interesting. Anyways, Samantha did know your brother and would like to speak to you. But I have one condition." He waited a moment before continuing. "I put this on speaker phone. There will be no secrets among us."

I looked at Nikko before answering. Did we really have a choice? I did say I would tell him everything if his Samantha was the one we were looking for. "Ok. I will be doing the same."

"Hello? Adam?" I could not remember what she sounded like before but it was a woman's voice.

"Hello Samantha. How are you?" I had to find out if it was really her. I did not think Jack would lie to me about who she was but I needed to make sure. "Do you remember what July 10th was?" If she was really Hunter's biological mother she would never forget.

"Yes." Her voice was soft and distant but that did not mean anything really. I needed her to say it. I kept quiet, waiting. "Do I really have to say it? Fuck... Adam do I really have to say this out loud?"

I hated to bring this up but I needed to know. "I'm sorry Samantha but yes I need to make sure this is really you."

On both ends it was dead quiet. "Fucking hell! Just so you know no one here knows about this." There was more silence. When she spoke her voice was soft and sounded defeated. "It was the birth and death of my first child."

There was a couple gasps from other side of the line. I did not know what to say at that moment. It was really Samantha. The woman we all thought died in childbirth. Hunter's biological mother.

"Now why they fuck did you have to bring that up after 16 years?" There was no hiding her anger. "Adam! Damn you answer me NOW!"

That caught us all off guard. I did not remember Samantha being this angry before but then again it was a delicate subject. I was pretty sure she should have known what Jack was and now who and what I was. No one talked to another Alpha like that if they knew what was good for them.

"Samantha please!" That same soft male voice spoke again but closer this time.

"I'm sorry Joseph." She sounded defeated. "Adam? I am sorry for yelling. This just all caught me off guard. It has been 16 years!" I could tell she was trying to pull herself together. "May I ask why you are bringing all this up now?"

Whoever that Joseph was had calmed her down in a matter of seconds. Impressive. Now let's see just how long the calm would last. "First let me say I thought you died in childbirth. If I would have known I would have found you many years ago." I let that sink in before I moved forward. "Second, I need you to sit down, please." How the hell do you tell someone that their child was still alive? And what do you say when you tell that mother her child was taken? "Samantha...Hunter is alive. Your daughter is alive. And she is in trouble, missing. Kidnapped is more like it." Ok it was out. Everyone of us just stared at the phone waiting to hear her reaction.

It was so quiet. I knew we did not lose the connection by looking at the phone. They were still there but not saying a word.

"Excuse me did you say my daughter was alive? Hunter is alive and did not die an hour after I gave birth to her?" Samantha's voice was completely monotone. "And did you say she has been kidnapped?" Ok the last part was getting more heated.

"Samantha Alice McDowell!" I heard Jack's voice the clearest among another Samantha and a couple Sam's all at the same time.

"Shove your commands up your ass! Joseph do NOT touch me! I do not want to calm down." There was a crash and someone shouting before Samantha spoke again. "Adam, where are you?" She was breathing heavy but seemed to understand what was going on and what had been said.

There was still more to tell but I was not sure how she would take it. She had the right to know and my gut was telling me that this was the right thing to do. It has almost been two days and we seemed to be getting nowhere except for maybe farther from finding her. "Samantha, there is more." The room settled right down. "Hunter is...special. She is very rare. She is a Born."

I was not sure if she knew what that meant but I thought Jack might but it was not his voice I heard. It was the soft speaking male, Joseph maybe. "Oh no...May I?" I knew he was not speaking to me when Jack gave permission. "Excuse me but if I may ask a question. Is she red?" The horror in his voice spoke louder than words.

This time we were the ones who were quiet. This Joseph knew actually what the problem was and the severity of it. All I could say was, "Yes". At least he would be able to explain to them in more detail.

"Adam," it was Jack again. "You have our help if you want it but there is something you too need to know. We will be coming as a force. Samantha is...special as well. She needs to be guarded. Whether she likes it or not!" I knew that part was towards Samantha herself and not us. "We also have a unique...group you could say. The lion pride will be with us." They treated Samantha as we treated Hunter. I was getting second thoughts on this. Would their presence be helpful of more of a hindrance? "Adam, Samantha is a Tlazolteotl with a twist."

"Well that made a hole lot of sense. Explains everything really." That was Sam. Nikko's son. I didn't even know when he arrived. I was glad someone knew what that was. "Excuse me Sir? May I ask you and Samantha a question?" I was ok with it since I did not know what we were dealing with.

"Go ahead." Jack replied and Samantha said "shoot."

I could see he was actually trying to think how to ask the question. I gave him major points for that. Talking to an Alpha from another pack that you did not know can be tricky. "Is she...Samantha are you able to control your influence?"

"Yes!" Samantha spoke first followed by Jack's, "Yes, she is mated which lessens the influence but I will not guarantee her controlling her temper or mouth."

"Jack! I am not that bad! It doesn't really matter anyways. If you think I am going to sit on my ass here and do nothing while MY daughter is in trouble you have another fucking thing coming! She is my daughter Jack, I will not lose her again! Dmitri if you even think about locking me up or drug me you sure as better fucking run far before I get out. What really matters is that Lawrence will agree. With this he will agree." Her voice was all growl by the end.

I was not sure if I was offended by her language or in awe of her character. Looking over to Nikko I could see he was struggling with the same thing. Looking at Jarek and Grayson they seemed in awe. "She is just like her mom." Grayson whispered. I did not think the others on the other line heard since Jack was scolding Samantha and she was not having it.

"Adam send me your coordinates? We will be there by morning with an approximate group of around 50." With that said the line when dead.

"This is going to be interesting." That was Sam. "Dad I just got a call and there is a lot of activity going on but the problem is that it is everywhere. We can't pinpoint if they are all heading into the same direction, although it looks like they are all heading further out. If we spread ourselves out too far it will decrease our numbers and be harder to get back up if and when it is needed. How is Vic making out?"

"He gets a glimpse here and there but nothing concrete. She has not moved. That we can tell." Nikko explained.

They were moving out to scatter us. To thin the group. They had an advantage. They had a plan and we had no clue what that was.