Chapter 6 Hunter

Somehow, with everything going through my head, I fell asleep. Such a deep sleep because when I woke I was in a room on a comfortable bed. It smelled like C.J. Testing the waters, I started at my toes and stretched every muscle. I was stiff but no longer sore. Even my headache was down to a mild roar. Definitely manageable. The sun beating in through the curtains gave off enough light I was able to see the room. The first thing I noticed I was alone. I think that was a good sign but that too had me conflicted. How long had I been here was another question. The second thing I noticed was the room looked and felt very familiar but I knew I had never been in this room. No, not room but cabin.

There on the familiar night stand where the photos, I last remembered clutching them against my chest. Ignoring the photos I took a better look around as I sat up. Not just any cabin but one of the cabins from the camp. Was I back at the camp? Oh thank heavens it was all just a horrible nightmare. I must had fallen asleep and someone put me in C.J.'s cabin. His scent was all over the room.

A soft knock at the door had me jump. "Hunter? Are you decent?" C.J.'s familiar voice was on the other side of the door. I think I stopped breathing for a couple heart beats. "I know you're awake. I could tell when your breathing changed." That wasn't creepy at all!

I waited another beat before I answered. Looking frantically for a way out. Why was I looking for a way out? I was back at the camp. I just had one of my nightmares again. "Ah...yeah...Come in." I couldn't keep the nervousness out of my voice. He could probably smell it even if I could keep my voice steady.

"Hey." C.J. stuck his head in before entering all the way. A mug in his hand and a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "You look a bit better. Here, drink this." He handed me the mug and I could tell by the smell it was the same nasty stuff he gave me before. Shit, this wasn't a dream.

"No thanks. I am feeling better." I wanted nothing to do with that stuff. It was horrible but there was this deep nagging feeling that told me I needed to stay away from that drink.

C.J. looked guilty and sad. "Hunter, you need to drink this. It will help clear your head. Please, trust me." His hand was outstretched. The mug less than a foot away. I was already shaking my head. C.J. sighed. "I am just trying to help. You need to get stronger and get your head clear. I promise it isn't as bad as the last time." His sweet smile, the one I loved to see light up his face, had me soften a bit. Or was that hope?

I had really, really bad feeling about this but I also had a feeling if I didn't drink it freely someone would make me drink it. I took the mug with slightly shaky hands. Putting it to my lips I took a small drink before putting it down. I had to ask. Well had to ask many things but one question at a time. "Where are we?" I would stay focused on one question at a time.

C.J. laughed shyly. His face turning pink all the way up to the tip of his ears. "This one is all on me. We are back at the camp. I thought you would feel more comfortable here. We need to talk, Hunter. You need to learn everything and now."

I wasn't sure if I would call this comfortable. My supposedly dead foster parent was alive. My supposedly best friend was never an orphan, which he had me believe all these years. And we were back at a place where I thought was the only reliable place I have ever had but I wasn't sure that was true. On the bright side of things I was about to get some answers.

"Ok, talk." This may be simpler than I thought.

"Drink first then I will talk." C.J. countered. By the look in his eyes this was non negotiable. Fine I could play that game as well. I took a small sip. He was right, it didn't taste that bad. How could something smell so bad taste so sweet?

"Good girl. What my dad said was all true. Adam is not your uncle. You don't belong to that pack. This is your pack. You were born into this one. Those," he pointed over to the pictures laying on the nightstand, "are your parents. Sorry, were your parents. The story you know about them is true. They were attacked and killed. But they did that. Adam's pack." He stopped and stared at me. Probably to make sure I was following him. I was but I just couldn't believe it. I think he could tell I was having problems believing any of it. "I wouldn't lie to you about this, Hunter."