Chapter 35 Sam

"Samantha, stay close!" My mate growled at me through our mind connection. I almost rolled my eyes at him but I didn't. I knew when to push him and when not too.

Instead of saying anything I took his hand in mine and squeezed. Hoping that gave him enough reassurance that I would do my best. Since I was vetoed against being in the front lines by not one but all the other Alphas and of course my mate, we were at the back of the attack. I could feel Nikko's command to move forward through this new bond I seemed to pick up with all the borns. Another thing that did not impress my mate. It was Vic who nodded to let the rest of my pack and pride know it was time to move and that was what we did.

As promised I stayed between Lawrence and Jack while the rest of our group circled us. Vic stayed just a head of us. His main job was to locate Hunter. We reached the front of the iron gates, the battle was in full swing. I spotted a few people on the ground already and they were not moving. I was pretty sure they were not with us. More enemy troops were racing towards the gate from inside. Just as we hit the clearing the huge iron gates started to open and we piled through leaving a few members to finish off the group that was on the outside of the gate. This was a battle to the death.

This was not the first battle I had seen and been involved with but that didn't mean the blood shed was any easier to accept. But with my first battle I was in a completely different mind frame. Yes we were their to save one of our own but I was also on a mission to destroy the person who had caused me so much physical and emotional pain. I was out for blood more than anything else. I had no sense of self preservation. I had no mate to worry about. This time it was so much different. I had a mate who I loved with all my heart and soul. I had so many others who I loved and needed to protect. I also had a daughter I had never met who needed all of us to bring her home safely. That day when I gave birth to Hunter I was never able to hold her. They rushed her off so quickly that I never even laid eyes on her. An hour later the doctor came in and told me that she had not survived. That the umbilicord had wrapped around her neck and they were unable to save her.

I was so young and distraught that I never asked any questions. When they told me that I was not able to see her I accepted it. I was in shock and didn't know what else I could do. I was also alone. I never told anyone I was pregnant. I had never had the courage to tell my parents. I was 5 months pregnant before I found out. I was in denial before that. I met the man of my dreams, so I thought back then, but he left. I never even told him. I was heartbroken and confused. Then I went into premature labour. Everything happened so fast I didn't know what to do.

I stayed in the hospital that day and was discharged the next morning. I mourned my baby daughter's short life by myself and kept that secret all these years. I never even told my best friend Mady. It was after that when we were in college that I met her. So I went back to life the way it was before. I cried for weeks when I was alone but kept quiet. That was the beginning of my pain and where I learned to keep so much inside and to trust very little people. To this day I still struggle with trust. I still struggle with expressing myself and letting others in.