Chapter 42 Hunter

Sorry? Why was she sorry? I watched as she bent over hovering her lips right above the dying man's mouth. I sensed more then heard the ruckus behind us. Forcing my gaze off of Sam I looked back to see a few men holding back a very pissed of man. The same one that held Sam earlier and had seemed to stay by her side. In my foggy mind I came to a conclusion that he must be her mate or at the very least someone who cared for her deeply. Now if I could figure what he was. All I really knew what that he was not a wolf.

Watching this man's eyes widen as he stared down at Sam had my head snap back in her direction. I had to blink my eyes a couple times to register what I was seeing. A bright blue glow seemed to be flow out between Sam's lips and into the dying man's partially opened mouth. I heard a few gasps and a lot of swearing but what surprised me the most was the growl that came from Amanda. I shot my eyes to the aggressive sound. Amanda had stopped moving and had her full focus on Sam. Her eyes no longer her own but her wolves. A very pissed of wolf.

I have never seen Amanda like this at all. She was always calm and reassuring. She was one who smiled or teased Uncle Adam more than anything. Before I could say anything a huge roar broke through the chaos and I found myself being pulled away, not so gently. From the corner of my eye I seen a blurred movement before Sam was across the foyer with her mate crouched down in front of her in a defensive stance. It was the murderous look in that man's eyes that had me more scared than I had ever been. He wasn't even looking at me but I was shaking. His eyes were on Amanda. It was her body language that had me put the pieces together. Well somewhat. Amanda was beside the man on the ground with her hand, which was now a claw, raised and slashing through the air where Sam was just at a second ago.

The guy that was protecting Sam tensed up even more. I was pretty sure he was about to attack Amanda but then the other alpha jumped in front of Amanda and the guy on the floor. Protecting them from the murderous looking man. His hands raised in a 'I do not mean you harm' manner. This alpha seemed calm as he stood relaxed but kept his eyes on the murderous looking man.

"Lawrence? Please calm down. Sam is fine. This woman did not mean anything. You of all people understand that it is purely instinct to protect what is yours." The alpha spoke in his deep subdued voice. I think I could have listened to him speak all day. His voice sounded so tranquil.

Well at least I know what the guys name was now. It was getting a little nerve racking thinking of him as the murderous guy. His name, Lawrence, had me and my wolf finally take a breath that I seemed to be holding as soon as I heard Amanda's growl. After a long agonizing minute Lawrence stood up from his protective crouch.

"Keep that...kept her away from Sam or I will end her," Lawrence finally spoke. His voice was more of a growl then human.

The alpha let out a sigh but I could see the tension in his shoulders now. "If you do that then you may hurt Dmitri." Lawrence smirked and the alpha shook his head than mumbled, "Ok maybe not the best logic to use."

"Lawrence?" I guess I was not the only one who forgot about Sam for a moment because when she spoke we all snapped our heads towards her. She was starting to stand on shaky legs. "Please don't. I didn't know who she was. It is my fault."

Lawrence spun around and engulfed her body in his much larger one. Her arms wrapped around his waist while she spoke soft words. It wasn't till then that I noticed Lawrence was shaking. The longer she spoke the slower the tremors became noticeable on Lawrence's back.

After a minute Sam pulled back and looked at Lawrence. She nodded her head then turned her head up towards the stairs with a confused look then looked around the crowd till she rested her eyes on Nikko. "There is a...there is someone upstairs." Her voice sounded funny as tears filled her eyes.

Nikko looked at her clearly confused. It only took me a second to remember before bolting up the stairs. "Gavin!" I screamed talking three steps at a time. I knew people were following me and heard Grayson call my name but I ignored them all. I need to check on my friend. The only one I trusted through this time. The one who I left behind.

"Stop her! Do not let her see!" I was pretty sure that was Sam who was yelling. It was the urgency in her voice that pushed me that much harder. Something was wrong and it would be my fault because I left him to save myself.