Chapter 37 Nikko

We made it through the iron gate. It was not easy but not as difficult as I thought it may had been. We did catch the guards by surprise which helped for about 30 seconds then their warning went out. I was not sure if they were unprepared for a possible attack or just overly confident. Either way it had helped us so far. The downfall was they had guns. Any respectable pack would never carry an armed weapon with them. Yes, I have seen many blades used in a full on attack and that I found acceptable. It was just an extension of our claws and still a hand to hand combat but not guns. It proved you, as a pack and leader, to be weak. As soon as I noticed the first side arm I informed Adam who was fighting along side of me. This fight was a fight to the death. There would be no prisoners. We had already decided that any of those who escaped would be hunted down and destroyed immediately. We could never risk another threat to Hunter again.

Staying in my human form I fought every wolf that came with in arms distance. On two legs and four. My wolf craved this more than I did. He wanted more blood. He needed them to pay for what they took from us. It was a pain filled howl that helped me regain more control of my wolf. After that second kill my wolf had taken over more than I have ever allowed in a very long time. It was that howl that helped me pushed me back in control and do what needed to be done. Protect my wolves and to find Hunter.

Now instead of taking more time to kill I incapitated the enemy and allowed my fellow wolves to finish the task. My immediate goal was to aim for the enemies who carried the guns. That was the biggest threat at the moment. The sounds of gunfire had my heart run cold but it never stopped me. The sound of every shot gave me strength and speed to keep moving. Even when I felt the first of my wolves succumb to death didn't stop me. As soon as I allowed myself to stop and think that would be another wolf's death on my hands.

It felt as if the fight had lasted for hours but I was pretty sure less than an hour went by. Snapping the neck of the last wolf I could see in front of me I quickly looked around. The sight was horrific. Bodies, lifeless bodies scattered everywhere. There were more bodies on the ground then there were standing. It was a sight I never thought I would see again. Not since that night when I lost my mate and my brother. That was the worst night of my life. If it was not for my sons I would had never survived. It was also the night I gained my Alpha status. It was also the night where I stopped helping other packs. Until Adam contacted me. Before Adam we searched for borns to bring into my pack. Too protect them from the others. It was not till I meet Adam that I even consider to trust another pack. Even then myself and my pack were very cautious. Borns are powerful but small in numbers. We had things that others wanted and would take by force. It was not till that dreadful night that I truly understood what other packs greedy for power would do. It was that night I became cold and cautious.

Adam's voice brought me back from the memories of that night that changed my life so drastically. He was barking off orders to a few pack member to search the house and for others to find survivors.. Taking in a deep breath I closed my eyes and concentrated on my pack bonds. Immediately I found my sons and they were alive. That alone released the tension in my shoulders. As long as I had my sons I could deal with almost anything else. Searching further I felt a void. I had lost four of my men. Four great men. I hated the fact I lost any of them but I was also grateful that I did not lose more. The men I lost would never be forgotten. They died a true warriors death. There names would go down in our history of those who fought courageously to save our Queen.

"Adam! Nikko! They have her! She's safe!" Sam screamed with a huge smile on her face as she pointed out towards the woods. She looked exhausted but intact. Lawrence and Jack stood beside her covered in blood. Where Sam looked excited Lawrence looked like a ravished beast in his human form. His eyes never stopped. I had a feeling he would not settle until he had Sam safely back home. After Sam spoke it took the rest of us only seconds to snap out of our exhaustion and run towards the woods where pack members started to break through the tree line.

We may have lost many great wolves today but we also found our future. Our Red Queen was back where she belonged. Now we just had to keep it that way.