Chapter 43 Hunter

As soon as I noticed my bedroom door was ajar my stomach did a flip. The booted feet behind me seemed louder as they closed their distance. They seemed to have an urgency that grew at every step. I ignored those calls and the booted footsteps to bust in my room. My eyes took everything in but my brain refused to process the scene.

I dove for my bed where Gavin laid unmoving. "Gavin?" I whispered but got no response. "Gavin!" I shouted and shook his shoulders. Deep down I knew why but I refused to listen. "Please Gavin. Please wake up!" I laid on my side beside him wrapping my arms around his shoulders, begging him to wake up. All I could hear, in the now full room, were sobs. My sobs and pleas for the man in my arms to wake. I knew my pleas fell on deaf ears but it didn't stop me. 

When I felt gentle hands trying to tug me away I held on to Gavin's cooling body. I didn't want to let him go. I did that twice already and the consequences were unacceptable. I would not do it again. He was my friend and I failed him.

"Hunter? Hunter you need to let go. I give you my word I will take care of him." It was Nikko's voice I heard and it was now his hands on my arm. "Please, Hunter let me take care of my brother." It was the crack in his voice that had me release my grip on Gavin's shoulders. The knowledge that Gavin and Nikko were brothers did not surprise me. Deep down I think I knew that when I first seen Gavin beautiful face.

I nodded and let Nikko pick me up and pull me away from my friend. My arms went around his neck and I buried my face into his neck. I couldn't look at Gavin anymore. The vision of him laying on the bed a sleep was shattered when the true memory came flooding back. His mouth was slightly open with blood trickling out the corner. The large silver knife that was buried deep in his chest while his blood covered his chest and seeped through the sides of the blanket that covered his lower body. Gavin was dead and nothing could bring him back.

I felt other hands on my back as Nikko shifted me to another's arms. I didn't have to look up to see who it was. Jarek took me into his arms but instead of carrying me like Nikko did with his one arm around my back and the other under my legs Jarek had both his arms around my waist while I buried my face into his neck and wrapped my legs around his waist. I knew we left the room when the soft voices started to fade.

I wasn't sure how long I cried while hanging on to Jarek as if he was the only thing that kept me here in this world. I was terrified to let go and find the next nightmare that awaited me. My tears had dried up and my breathing was getting a little bit easier to do. The sobs that raked my body had dwindled to a soft cry a few minutes ago. It was his constant reassurance and the feel of his hand rubbing circles on my back that had helped me calm down. A couple times someone tried to pry my hands from the grip I had on Jarek's shirt but I would just start screaming. I couldn't tell you why but I needed him right now. Lupa needed him.

Once my sobs slowed I started to make out more than Jarek's voice. A few I recognized and a few I didn't but they all asked the same thing--how was I doing. Neither Jarek or I responded. I don't think I was physically able to say anything plus I had nothing to say. What can you say when you are responsible for someone's death? What can you say when the people around you continue to die? What can you say when you lose the people you care about? Sorry? Well, that just doesn't cut it. There was nothing to say.

A hand rested on the back of my head and I knew who it was immediately. I was torn on what I wanted to do. Half of me wanted to run and the other wanted to dive into his arms. What stopped me from doing either was the strong arms around my waist and my fear. I didn't know what was going to happen next. Was this the final event that had me truly alone? Was he finally going to realize that all my words I had told him before was the truth? The fear of his rejection seemed a worse fate over death.

"Sweetheart? Thank you for taking care of Gavin for me when I couldn't. Thank you for letting me do what needed to be done." It was Nikko. His voice was soft laced with concern and pain. "Come on let's get out of here. It is time to go home."

I pulled my head away from Jarek's chest just enough to look at Nikko. It was his small sad smile that broke me out of my silence. Saying sorry may not accomplish anything at all but sometimes that was all you could say. Throwing myself out of Jarek's lap I wrapped my arms around Nikko's neck. Realizing I was not going to let go anytime in the near future Jarek's arms loosened and Nikko's arm went under my legs to pick me up.

"I am so, so sorry Nikko. I should have stayed with him. I am so sorry I wasn't strong enough to protect him," I whispered as a new fresh set of tears slide down my cheeks.

"Oh Hunter please do not blame yourself for any of this. What matters right now is that you are back with us and safe." Nikko squeezed me tight against his chest before he started to walk.

I didn't say another word after that. I held on to Nikko and refused to let go. I heard hushed voices but the closer we came to them the voices silenced. It wasn't long after I felt the breeze against my skin before the weight of my eye lids were to heavy and finally closed. I welcomed that darkness and the silence that immediately fell right after.