Chapter 44 Nikko

We have been back at the camp for about an hour and even in her restless sleep Hunter would not let go of me. Twice I tried to lay her down on her bed and twice she started to whimper and shake while never regaining consciousness. I was beyond getting worried on what this poor child had gone through. Physically she looked fine but it was the emotional impact of her stay with them plus what she witnessed after was what had me worried.

My mind kept on replaying the scene in the bedroom at that house. As we chased Hunter down the hall I could smell what was waiting for us. I also knew who it was. It was that realization that had me stumble a step which cost me dearly. If I hadn't stumbled I would had been in time to stop Hunter from entering that room. Instead I reached the door just in time to see her diving on the bed screaming for my brother. Even though I already knew what was waiting for us it didn't prepare me on what laid on that bed.

It wasn't till I heard Hunter begging Gavin to wake up to snap me out of my own turmoil. Grayson was the one who reached Hunter first but when he touched her she just held on to my dead brother tighter.

The sight had my legs move forward. "Hunter? Hunter you need to let go. I give you my word I will take care of him." I begged as I laid my hand on her arm. "Please, Hunter let me take care of my brother." I wasn't sure she was even hearing me. I was debating what I should do next when I noticed her grip loosen. Not hesitating I pulled her away from my brother and into my arms. What surprised me was when she wrapped her arms around my neck.

I hated to give her to someone else in her state but I had to do what needed to be done. I had to take care of the brother I haven't seen in years. The brother I would never have a chance to speak to again. My big brother. My only brother. The brother that once broke my heart and betrayed me. The brother I would never be able to tell him that I forgave him years ago. As I turned my son was standing right behind me. His eyes shot from Hunter to Gavin and back again. The last time Jarek say Gavin he hadn't turned 5 yet. I knew he had recognized his scent and possibly his face. I didn't want him to see anymore and I knew, at this moment, that Hunter would go to him and no one else. Lupa was close to the surface and even if she respected the bitten wolves she was a born and needed the comfort from another born.

Waiting until my son left with Hunter wrapped around his body I took that final step to the bed. No one else moved. They heard me tell Hunter that Gavin was my brother and they would leave it up to me to decide if I was the one to clean him up or ask some else to do it. Gavin was family so I would never ask for the help. This was my duty and no one else's.

It took us longer than I thought it would to find all our fallen, wrap them up in a clean white sheet and place them in the back of the awaiting truck. We would bring them back to the camp where their families would be notified and we would give them the chance to either claim their bodies or make it to the funeral that we would hold. Now for our enemy we did not give them a warrior's funeral. What we did was toss every body we found in a pile then lite the bodies on fire. There were no words to be said, we gave them our backs as we all turned to walk away after making sure the fire had started and burned bright.

After my second failed attempt to lay Hunter down we all headed back to the main cabin. I didn't want to sit but I was exhausted and my arms started to ache from the fighting and now holding Hunter for the past couple of hours. I would never admit that to the others even though I was sure they knew. Adam was the first who tried to remove Hunter from my arms. I didn't want to give her to another but I knew I had too, but she wouldn't let go. The next to try was Grayson and once again she would not let her death grip around my neck loosen. Oh we could have easily made her let go but no one, especially myself, wanted to put her through anything else. It was when Vic, my son, came to sit beside me when Hunter released her grip. It was then I understood. She just didn't need a born right now. She needed Gavin's family right now. We all have our own scents but underneath our own unique scent was a familiar one that only a family would have. It was that scent that had Hunter and possibly Lupa crave for.

Adjusting my hold on Hunter she easily went with Vic where he took her to the back room with Jarek and Grayson following behind. We all stayed quiet and watched as they moved down the hall and shut the door. Taking a deep breath I looked around the room to see a lot less bodies than I expected. Adam and his second, my other son Sam, a couple of my pack as well as Adam's and Jack. Staring at Jack he must had known I was surprised to only see him.

"Samantha...she needs some rest. Joseph and her were very close. His death will not be easy on her at all. What may help is that fact that Dmitri is alive and will make it," Jack announced.

I nodded in understanding. "Adam I am going to make the calls I need to make. Two days is all we can afford to wait. We need to get back to our homes and help ours who will need help and our support." I didn't wait for a confirmation. It was his own decision on what to do with his own pack and his people that he lost.

I was heading back to my own cabin where I would have the privacy to talk to my fallen pack members family. The deserved all my attention at that time. As I was passing the cabin that Sam and Lawrence were staying in I could feel the grief even though all was silent. I decided after my calls were done I would check on Sam. It wasn't my place but I still would. Maybe it was because she was Hunter's mom and would most likely be in her life in the future but I think it was even more than that. There was a pull I could feel in the pack bonds I felt. I wasn't sure if I like that but it was there and I would not ignore it.

"Nikko? How is Hunter?" Lawrence called out. He must have walked out the door just as I passed their cabin and lost in my own thoughts.

Turning around to face him I shook my head. "Not well. I am worried about her. She has lost a lot and been through some difficult changes at such a young age. How is Sam doing?"

Lawrence sighed and rubbed the tension from the back of his neck. "She...Sam loves deep when she finally lets people into her heart. When she feels a bond there is nothing that can break it on her part. Maybe Sam can help Hunter? Of course that is up to you and Adam but I think it will also help Sam as well."

I understood his request and agreed with his conclusion. "I do not see any issues with that and I think it would help the both of them. Hopefully. Adam is at the main office with Jack and a few others." Lawrence nodded and turned back to head back to his cabin.

I finally made it back to mine to do the task I hated to do the most as an Alpha. Letting families know their loved ones would not be returning home. The only thing that was on my side was that my fallen warrior's were all unmated so there was no added pressure on fighting to keep their mates alive and fighting.