Chapter 45 Hunter

Hushed voices woke me from my sleep. I was completed exhausted and in no mood to see or talk to anyone. I didn't know how long I had slept for but wished I could stay in my dreamless state for ever. When I was sleeping I didn't remember anything that had happened over the past few days. I wanted to forget it all but I knew I would never escape the images of the people who lost their lives. Before my brain decided to torture me with those images I focused on the soft voices that were close by. I was pretty sure they were in the same room with me.

"How are you doing? We can come get you when she wakes up." That was Vic's voice I heard first.

"If you do not mind I would like to sit with her for awhile. Alone." I think that was Sam but I wasn't sure since her voice seemed raspy and I wasn't that familiar to me yet. I heard feet shuffle but no one said a word. "Please? Just for a little while."

"Call us if you need us, Sam," Jarek said right before soft sounding footsteps left the room.

When the click of the door sounded Sam let out a sigh. After another minute Sam was closer to the bed and from the sound of the creak I just heard I was pretty sure there was a chair beside where I was laying down and Sam just sat in it. In a soft whisper she spoke. "Hey...Hunter. I know you are awake but you don't have to talk if you don't want to."

I laid unmoving debating what I wanted to do. She knew I wasn't sleeping so there was no point in pretending but did I want to talked? "I don't know where to start," Sam continued to whisper. "There is so much to tell you. So many questions I have. The first one is do you want to talk to me or would you prefer I leave and send in someone you feel more comfortable with? I am a stranger to you as you are to me but that doesn't stop the feelings I have for you. Plus add in this complete fucked up mess....shit sorry. I have a bit of a potty mouth at times. Ok well most of the time." Sam laughed at herself.

It was a beautiful sound, her laugh, and a contagious one. A giggle escaped my lips for a second before the guilt hit me. Now was not a time for laughing. "Yeah I know how you feel there but I also know the ones we lost today would hate to see us like this. They would want us to remember them but not hurt while we do. They would want us to move on and enjoy life for ourselves and for them. To honour their sacrifice instead of wallowing in pity." Sam let out a sad small laugh. "Oh by the way I gave amazing advice but I suck at following it."

It was her honesty that had me turn around to look at her. The room was dark but the falling sun gave off enough light to see her clearly. "I am sorry you lost your friends." My voice was small and broken.

"Me too." A heartbreaking small smile lit her face. "Dmitri will make it though. It was just Joseph." Sam took a deep breath before answering the confusion written all over my face. "Dmitri was the one in the house. I can explain that one later if you would like to know." With my nod she relaxed even more. I didn't realize how tense she was till her shoulders dropped a couple of inches.

"So if you feel like talking or even just listening I'm game. The topic is completely up to you," Sam asked with hope in her voice.

I stared at her for another minute before sitting up and sliding my back against the walls holding my knees against my chest. "Am I really your daughter? I want the truth on everything, no holding back to spare my feelings or whatever." My voice was stronger, more determined. I was tired of people not telling me things. If they were just honest from the beginning things may have been different to begin with.

Sam stared at me for only a moment than nodded. "Yes I am your mom. You may not like what I tell you and some of it is from a third party so I can't be sure if the information is true but I believe it is." I nodded my understanding.