Prologue ✓

A SLEEPING THOMAS STIRRED IN HIS SLEEP

A SLEEPING THOMAS STIRRED IN HIS SLEEP. All he could think about was her. All he could ever think about was her. She was going in the Maze tomorrow and there was nothing he could do to stop it. She would wake up confused and scared, not knowing where she was or who she was with, and what she was about to face.

That scared him. He wouldn't be there to protect her from the Grievers she created. She would be out there with fifty plus boys and worst of all they won't remember each other when they see each other next month. Not remembering her punches him hard in the gut.

It physically hurts him to think about not remembering her at all. Even thinking about it makes him sick to his stomach, twisting and turning with knots, his mind overlapping with sadness and guilt. Thomas's eyes opened and he looked at the sleeping girl next to him. Her long hair was draped behind her back, her pink lips parted slightly, and her skin shined in the dim light coming from the small window above his bed.

Thomas brought his two fingers and creased her cheek. The feeling of her soft skin on his made him shiver. Everything about her did. He loved every inch of this girl. She had no flaws. She was perfect.

Scarlett could feel someone touching her face. Her eyes fluttered open to see Thomas staring at her.

"You're staring." She murmured, still half asleep.

Thomas chuckled. It wasn't a happy chuckle, more like a sad, I'm going to miss you chuckle. "I can't help it." Was his answer.

"Can't sleep?" She asked. "How can I? You're going in the Maze tomorrow and I can't stop that," he began. Thomas placed a hand on her arm and rubbed it back and fourth. "My job is to protect you and now I can't. You'll be out there with them, with the Grievers, the Maze. Promise me, Scar... promise me that you won't go in the Maze."

Scarlett licked her lips. Thomas kept his hand on her shoulder. "I can't promise that..." she said. "I can't promise anything." "Promise me one thing, okay? Promise me that you'll stay alive." Scarlett nodded, tears filling her eyes.

Scarlett sat up and Thomas did, too. He looked at her and she placed a hand on his shoulder for comfort. She placed one on his knee and he rubbed his hand across hers. She looked at him. "I can promise you that I'll stay alive." She whispered.

"But... I can't promise you that I won't go in the Maze." Thomas looked at her. He felt sick. She knew the things that were living out there. Hell, she created the things that were living out there. A tear dropped from Scarlett's eye and Thomas wiped it away with his thumb.

He brought one hand and cupped it to her cheek. They both looked at each other for a moment. "You'll forget me," Thomas whispered, gazing at her eyes in the dark. She shook her head, her lips trembling. "I won't. I won't."