Chapter Sixteen ✓

SAFE HAVEN

THE GIRL WOULDN'T LEAVE THOMAS'S SIDE EVER SINCE THEY GOT BACK FROM THE CITY AND MADE IT TO SAFE HAVEN.

Well, the majority of them did, anyways. The rest were all up in heaven with the others who lost their lives. Including Teresa, Chuck, Winston, Clint and Jeff. Newt... It all felt like a dream. It didn't feel real.

First, Newt died, and then she lost her best friend.

She doesn't remember the times that they'd spent together in WCKD, but a few memories remained. She'll miss her more than anything. They didn't even get time to say goodbye, she was just gone. Just like the others. Just like Newt.

Remembering them brought her pain. It brought her so, so much pain. Every time she'd close her eyes she would picture Teresa falling to her death. She would picture Newt turning into a Crank, and Thomas killing him trying to save his own life.

She would picture Gally shooting Chuck even though it wasn't his fault he was stung. The memories of them will never go away. Each moment she shared with all of them was precious and each moment she shared she will never forget.

Ever.

Scarlett arms and head was laying on the side of the bed, Thomas was laying in. Since they got back she hasn't left his side. Suddenly, Thomas's gasped filled the room, he sat up and looked around registering where he was first.

He sighed with relief when he saw her sleeping soundly next to him, and her pink lips parted slightly and her green eyes clamped shut. Her eye lids moved like she was having a bad dream. Pain filled Thomas's chest as he remembered what happened.

Scarlett's best friend died, his best friend died. Newt was gone, Chuck, Winston and everybody else was dead. They were all dead. That's the thing about pain, it demands to be felt.

The strawberry blonde felt him wake up, his hands found her face and her eyes fluttered open. "Tom..." she whispered. She looked up at him and noticed how sad he looked. "I know... I miss her, too." She frowned. "It's not fair. She should be with us." Scarlett nodded, picturing Teresa in her mind.

Teresa will always have a place in her heart, she'll always be with her no matter what, even if she wasn't really there.

"She still is." Scarlett smiled a little, remembering the brunettes smile. "I'm glad you're here," Thomas said, looking down at the girl. "I'm glad I'm here, too. Let's go see the others, everyone misses you." Scarlett stood up, holding her hand out towards the boy. He took her hand and the two headed outside into the crisp air. The ocean breeze, the cold wind crisped against their skin. As they walked outside Thomas couldn't help but to stare at the ocean. It was beautiful. It was peaceful.

Far away from the city, far away from what was once named WCKD. Kids were laughing, and people were smiling.

Vince and some of the other kids started to grow crops, making food for them so they can survive.

Minho was sitting down on the log, he noticed Scarlett and Thomas walking towards them, Thomas's eyes glancing around. He got off and instantly made his way over there slowly. They all stared at each other remembering who didn't survive and who didn't make it to Safe Haven as they all hoped they would. The ones who survived were all together, and that's all what mattered.

-

A few hours later Vince got the fires burning and the flames fulfilling the air. Everyone was gathered around the camp fires, Vince beginning his speech. "We've all been through a lot together. So many had sacrificed," Vince started.

"So much to make this place possible. Your friends, your family... so here's to the ones who couldn't be here... here's to the friends we've lost..." everyone raised their glasses, and Scarlett's hand aiming high in the air, and tears filling in her eyes.

"This place if for you, it's for all of us. But this... this is for them." He said, pointing at a large slab of rock stuck in the ground, holding up a knife to carve their names. "So in your own time, in your own way, come make your peace. And welcome to the Safe Haven!"

Everyone cheered and a few tears slipped from the girls eyes wishing that everyone who didn't survive was here with them. Brenda wrapped her arms around the girl and Scarlett engulfed her in a hug. The two stayed like that for a minute or so, embracing each other. They've been through so much, Scarlett's lucky to have a friend like Brenda.

Once the gathering died down Scarlett found herself looking out towards the ocean, the sunset showing a brilliant colour of orange.

Her hair blew in the wind and she got goose bumps on her arms. She'll never get used to this. Being free. Not having to fight for her life every second and every minute. Not having to worry about dying or fighting. Just living.

They all get a break from that, all of them. After reading Newt's letter, Thomas looked up and noticed Scarlett at the shore staring out into the ocean. He made his way over to her and slid his arm around her waist.

She sighed and leaned her head on his chest, her hand placement on his stomach. "What do we do now?" Scarlett asked. She pulled away from his embrace and looked up at him, his brown eyes staring deeply into hers. She licked her lips and frowned, fiddling with her fingers.

The boy shrugged and licked his lips as well. He then placed his two fingers underneath her chin, his finger tips touching her soft skin. He began to lean in, and when then their lips touched, sparks flew in the air and their lips collided together almost like they were meant for each other's.

The kiss lasted for a few minutes, the two of them not giving a care in the world, only focusing on the main thing: each other. Scarlett pulled away, a smile forming on her face, a real smile. Something that she hasn't done or felt like doing in a long time. "I love you." Thomas said.

"I love you, too," she whispered. Their lips touched again, moving perfectly against each other's. Thomas put it all out of his mind and pulled her closer just as the last wink of the sun's light vanished below the horizon.