Chapter Thirteen ✓

GOODBYES

GOODBYES

FOR ONCE IN HER LIFE SCARLETT THOUGHT THAT NOTHING COULD GO WRONG. Like nothing bad could ever happen to her and her friends. It was almost like a dream, a dream that she had wished for a very long time. A dream to meet new friends, a life with laughter, or build a future. A life without worrying about what's going to happen next. A life without WCKD. A world without Cranks possibly even death.

The thought of that made her so happy it almost felt odd to feel like that again. The last time she remembered feeling that way was in the Glade when Gally and the builders built her a Homestead 2 before all hell went loose. 

Scarlett found herself making new friends with Sonya and Harriet, laughing with Aris while Thomas was watching them from above with his friends.

Then came hell. All hell broke loose.

Helicopters in the sky, gun shots firing in every direction. And that's when her dream was crushed. Crushed to tiny pieces. A dream for a future was a waist of thought, a waste of time.

It would never happen unless something good came out of all of this.

The next few moments in her life she was running with Harriet and Sonya, Aris following them. 

Next she found herself kneeled to the ground feeling weak next to Sonya, her head bobbling back and fourth. Getting shot by a grenade was not something that she wanted to happen. It was not fun. It felt like her body shut down, a part of her was still alive, just weak. Newt, Frypan, and Minho were soon brought to the line, dropping their knees on the ground. 

She groaned and tilted her head back. A guard from WCKD scanned her neck, calling out her number. "A7." "How many did we get?" Janson asked, walking forward. "All of them. Give or take." A man working for him answered. 

"Give or take what?" Janson asked. "Well, they lost a few." He said. Please not be Thomas, she thought. She looked around for any sign of him but couldn't see his face anywhere. She looked at Sonya and Sonya frowned. "Is this all of them?" Ava Paige stopped in front of Janson. 

"Most of them," Janson replied, "It'll be enough." "Okay," she sighed, "Start loading them in." Sonya was taken by a guard and they gathered up a few people. "I'm glad you're safe," Ava Paige whispered to Teresa and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Wait... What?" 

"What the hell..." Frypan muttered under his breath. "Teresa?!" Scarlett looked at her, a glare forming on her face. "Teresa, what the hell is going on?" Scarlett asked. "What the..." 

"She's with them," Thomas stated.

Scarlett sighed with relief, glad that he was alright and not injured. "Since when?" Scarlett asked. Janson narrowed his eyes at the strawberry blonde. "Teresa's always had an evolved appreciation for the greater good."