Chapter Twelve ✓

STRANGERS

SCARLETT STARED BACK AT THE GIRLS WHO HAD THEIR WEAPONS RAISED, INCHES AWAY FROM THEIR FACES. Scarlett raised her hands up, glancing nervously at Jorge.

"Don't be stupid, move." One of the girls said. The two girls had stood side by side, ready to fire their guns any moment at the strangers. The wind blew Scarlett's hair, you could still see the worry written all over her face. Half of the girls face were covered with black bandanas, the both of them were dressed in long coats that reach the back of their knees.

Some outfits, Scarlett thought. The teenager who talked first took a step forward. She had chocolate brown dreadlocks and big brown eyes, narrowing her eyes towards Jorge who had the gun on him, and the other gun pointed at Scarlett.

The second girl who had blonde hair, noticed a familiar boy in the group. She lowered her gun to Scarlett's feet instead, pulling her bandana low, eyebrows furrowed. "Aris?" She stepped forward. Her pale face soon turned into a small smile.

"Oh, my god," Aris's voice piped up as he made his way forward. "Sonya?" The blonde girl Sonya stepped toward Aris, who almost immediately engulfed him in a hug. Scarlett had her eyebrows raised, her hands dropping to the side.

"How- how are you still alive?" Sonya asked.

Scarlett looked at Jorge. "I don't know," Aris replied, "My god, Harriet, I thought I would never see you again!" Aris engulfed Harriet in a hug. Harriet replied with a smirk on her face.

"You're lucky we didn't shoot your dumbass."

"Wait- what's going on?" Scarlett asked. "We were in the Maze together," Aris breathed. He turned to look at Scarlett before he engulfed his friends in another hug.

    -

The Gladers followed the two teenagers as they arrived in the middle of the mountains. Harriet stepped out of the car, followed by the group of Gladers. A dozen or so tents had been set up, cars parked beside each other. Each one had a few dozen people surrounding them, looks like they were getting ready to move camp. A small gust of wind blew Scarlett's hair as she looked around the place. Her heart pounded at the sight of all the people here. They could most likely take on WCKD. All of the guns they owned surprised her.

Different types of scents filled her nose: smoke, camp wood fire, meat cooking on the fire, with other types of foods. Something that Scarlett hasn't smelt in a long while. She looked down at Thomas and reached for his hand. He took her hand in his and smiled a little. Scarlett then came across the thought of Chuck.

She wondered if Winston found peace with him and told Chuck what she told him to tell the young boy. The thought of Chuck being here with them made her upset, wishing that he was still alive.

He would've liked it here, no doubt. He could have made some new friends, ate some food.

Teresa looked at Scarlett and they quickly shared a glance, a small smile forming on Teresa's face. "They've been planning this for over a year now," Sonya said. She waved at a young girl passing by. "You're lucky you found us when you did. We're moving out at first light."

"Where's Vince?" Harriet called out to a man.

"Over there, I think." He replied with a shrug.