Chapter Twelve ✓

THE FINAL GOODBYE

THOMAS AND SCARLETT CARRIED NEWT, WHO WAS HAVING A HARD TIME KEEPING UP WITH THEM. His arms were flailing everywhere, his voice was rough, and his blonde hair was tousled in every direction. Scarlett heaved as she helped Thomas, the two kids carrying their best friend who was turning into a Crank. "Stay with us, Newt. We're almost there," Scarlett said.

Newt tried so hard to focus on her voice but his mind was having trouble focusing on anything. All he could think about was dying. He wanted to die and get this over with. He didn't want to live anymore. He just didn't. Newt dropped to the ground, bringing Thomas and Scarlett along with him.

Scarlett's elbow hit the concrete, her body creating impact on the ground. "Newt, Newt! Hey," Scarlett said, crawling back to his side. Newt started croaking, more blood pouring out of his mouth.

Thomas placed a hand on his chest, shaking him, wanting to bring him back to reality. Wanting to bring Newt back. They're Newt.

"Newt..." Scarlett gasped, her eyes getting wet with tears. "I'm right here, Newt. I'm right here. Just try to focus, okay? Newt." Thomas picked him up again but he struggled, he fell and Newt fell on top of him.

"Thomas, Thomas," a familiar voice echoed through the air.

It was Teresa's.

"Thomas."

Scarlett stood up spinning around on her heel.

"Can you hear me? I need you to listen to me. I know you and Scarlett have no reason to trust me, but I need you two to come back.

Thomas... you can save Newt. There's still time for him." Scarlett could hear Teresa's voice crack as she spoke through the microphone.

"There's a reason why Brenda isn't sick anymore. It's your blood. Do you understand? She isn't sick because... because you cured her. She doesn't have to be the only one. All you have to do is come back. This will all finally be over. Please, just come back to me." Scarlett couldn't believe what she was hearing. All this time Thomas was the cure to all of this?

Thomas could save humanity.

"I know you'd do the right-"

Teresa's voice was cut off and the lights went out. It was just Newt, Thomas, and Scarlett.

Scarlett stood there shocked, still not quite believing what she had just heard. Thomas is the cure... he can save them all. He can save Newt. Scarlett and Thomas shared a look, Thomas's breathing hitched and Newt stood up, not turning around to face them at first.

"Scarlett... get back," Thomas said pushing her aside. Scarlett gulped and reached for her gun, but remembered that she was out of ammo.

"Newt?" Thomas quietly said. Newt turned, his face bloody, his eyes blood shot red and his face was full of veins. "Newt..." Thomas's voice cracked. Scarlett backed up and gasped. A eerie scream ruffled out of Newt's mouth. First he went straight after Thomas but he pushed him to the ground, which he got up again. "Newt, stop!" Scarlett yelled. "Newt, it's me-" Thomas tried telling him. It was no longer Newt. Newt charged after him again.

-

Newt grabbed Thomas and they rolled to the ground. Newt was on his hands and knees.

"Tommy, kill me!" "Newt..." Newt rushed for Thomas again, and they were both on the ground. Scarlett tried prying the blonde off of him.

She was kicked aside and landed hard on the ground, her head hit the concrete and she could feel a sticky substance dripping from her forehead. Blood. "I'm sorry, Tommy. I'm sorry, Tommy." She heard Newt say, his voice drifting away.

Scarlett sat up, feeling dizzy. She saw Newt pull out his gun and bring it to his head, the black tip of it hitting his skull. Scarlett screamed and Thomas slid the gun over to Scarlett. She stretched out her shaky hand and reached for it, the weapon sitting firmly in the palm of her hands.

Newt screamed at Thomas, still fighting him off. Thomas pushed him aside and he fell to the ground. Scarlett saw him pull a knife out of his pocket, his arm launching over to Thomas, slicing his shirt. "No!" Scarlett screamed at him.

She tried to get up and fire the gun but her vision was too blurry to aim it properly. If she missed she could hit Thomas, if she shot it right she would kill her own best friend. Her head spun too much to do anything, she could only watch her boyfriend fight for his life.

Newt had the knife pointed down at Thomas's chest, and Thomas trying so hard to stop him.

Thomas's scream filled the air, and Newt's groans brought Scarlett back to reality.

The knife went in Thomas's chest, it took everything in the girl to run to Newt. She wrapped her arms around his waist and their bodies made impact with the ground.

"Newt, this isn't you!" Scarlett yelled. The Newt she knew was long gone. Newt swung the knife at her and cut her arm, the stinging sensation burned her skin making her yelp out in pain.

Thomas got off the ground and tackled Newt.

Suddenly, the sound of the knife was being plunged in a chest. Scarlett dropped to the ground, she covered her mouth with her hands, tears filling her eyes. Her heart dropped out of her chest, and Thomas glanced her way.

When Thomas pulled away Scarlett realized that the knife was in Newt's chest and not Thomas's. She instantly stood up and watched Newt drop to the ground. Her eyes widened and her moth dropped open. She ran over to Thomas and he pulled her in a hug, both of their eyes watery, and Thomas's eyes widened with shock. The two bend down next to Newt, Scarlett placed a hand on his face, tears streamed down her cheeks. "Oh, my god..." she choked. "He's... he's dead..."

She looked down at Newt's face, who's eyes were open but no sign of them blinking. He was gone to the world. Scarlett believed that he was sent to a better place now, hoping for his soul to reunite with the others. Chuck, Winston, Clint and Jeff along with the rest of the boys who lost their lives in the Glade.

A tear dropped from Thomas's eye and Scarlett noticed Brenda running over to them. Brenda stood there shocked. Scarlett picked up her feet and ran over to her. The brunette pulled her in a hug.

"Brenda..." Scarlett cried, her voice cracking.

"Shh, shh." Brenda whispered.

"He's gone..." she choked, "He's gone."

Thomas stood up and Scarlett pulled away from Brenda. The strawberry blonde walked over to him. Her hands wouldn't stop shaking.

She held Thomas's hand and the gun was in the other, both of the teens looking at their friend.

Scarlett reached for for Thomas's gun, cocking it and narrowing her eyes and said, "This ends now."