Chapter Eight ✓

WORKING WITH FRYPAN

FOUR DAYS OF BEING IN THE GLADE, AND NEWT STILL COULDN'T FIND A WAY TO WAKE HER UP. He had tried everything. This morning he put a chicken at the end of her bed, then he flicked some water on her with his fingers, and she still wouldn't wake up. She was a sleeping beauty in every way shape and form. Everything he tried to do didn't seem to work. He couldn't get her awake. It was impossible. This morning he let her sleep in for a bit.

He understood that girls needed more sleep than guys. That's just how it was he guessed.

Now he was watching her sleep.

He didn't want to be creepy, but he couldn't help but to think of what she was dreaming about. Her lips were parted slightly, her eyebrows were knitted together as if she was confused. Her long lashes draped over on her eyelids, her long strawberry blonde hair running down her shoulders. She really was sleeping beauty. Newt sat in his chair with folded arms and let out a sigh. He decided that it was time for her to wake up since she was trying out to be a cook with Frypan today, since she obviously wasn't going to be a Slicer with Winston. Especially after the show she pulled yesterday. Newt went under the hammock again and poked her back. His fingers touched her shirt and she moved a little in her sleep.

"Bloody hell," he muttered.

Getting off the ground, he hesitated before he ran his hand through her hair, placing it back neatly on her shoulders. Gasping awake, she met his eyes and sat up. "Finally! I've been trying to wake you for hours!" Newt said. Of course he was being a little too dramatic.

She groaned. "Maybe I haven't been waking up because I'm tired and I need my sleep." She rubbed her eyes, laying down again. Newt took his hands and grabbed her shoes, beginning to put them on her feet. "What... what are you doing?"

"I'm putting your shoes on. What does it look like?" "Okay, Fine. I'm up!" Sitting up fully, she slipped on her shoes and stood. Newt smiled.

"What are you smiling at?" He shrugged. He was smiling at her, but he would never say it out loud.

Scarlett groaned and began to walk out of the Homestead. She headed outside into the brisk air with Newt right on her heels. The two headed to the kitchen to eat a quick breakfast, which most of the Gladers have ate already.

Newt walked up to Frypan who smiled at them.

"I hear you're with me today, Greenie," He said to her, handing her a few eggs and toast.

"Thanks. And I guess." "She's not a morning person," Newt told Frypan. Frypan laughed.

"Yeah, I can see that." Scarlett rolled her eyes.

Newt lead Scarlett to a table like the gentleman he was, and they sat down. Scarlett began digging in her eggs, not slowing down. Newt looked at her with amusement. "What?"

She asked him with food in her mouth. "You hungry?" He asked. She nodded. "Starving, actually." "Eat up. You've got a big day ahead of you."

Sighing, she finished her breakfast in under five minutes. Her and Newt met Frypan in the kitchen and Scarlett looked around. "Nice Place ya got here," Scarlett commented, "I think it's my favourite besides Newt's room."