Chapter Sixteen ✓

FLASHBACKS

"TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE STAR HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU ARE, UP ABOVE A WORLD SO HIGH, LIKE A DIAMOND IN THE SKY." A little girl sang as a blonde women brushed her hair. She giggled as the blonde women ran her fingers through her hair, making it tickle.

"That tickles," Scarlett giggled again, making the older women smile at her through the mirror.

"I can't help it, Scarlett. Your hair is just too beautiful." Scarlett blushed and giggled again.

The younger girl spun in her seat and sat up, giving the older women a hug. "Thank you, for brushing my hair and making me look pretty."

Ava Paige smiled widely. "You're welcome, Scar. Now, why don't you go see your friends?" Nodding her head. She gave Ava one last hug before she ran off to find Teresa and Thomas, her two best friends. When she found them, she happily went over there.

-

Gasping awake, Scarlett sat up and and looked around the room confused. Running a hand through her hair, she realized that she was now in her own Homestead. Homestead 2. Thinking about her dream, or memory, she didn't know which was which anymore. Who was that women? Was it her mother? Ava? Who's Ava Paige?

"Ava..." Scarlett whispered, trying to remember anything else about the older women who she saw. Nothing came up so she let out a frustrated groan. Sitting up, she swung her legs over the bed and sighed. She began to put on her shoes and she ran her fingers through her tangled hair.

She wanted to tell someone about the dreams she's been having, but she doesn't know who to tell. She definitely didn't want to tell Newt or Gally, because then they will report it back to Newt.

She walked out of the Homestead and went straight to the kitchen to help Frypan for the day. When breakfast was done, she found herself sitting on the ground watching the boys work in the Gardens.

"Has anyone tried climbing to the top?" The new Greenie suddenly asked, as he was digging dirt. "Tried it. The ivy doesn't go all the way to the top. And besides, where you gonna go from there?" Newt asked, Scarlett licked her lips.

"Well, what about the Box? You know, next time it comes up-" Newt cut him off. "No. Tried that. Box won't go back down with someone in it."

"Okay well, what if we...?"

"No. We tried it, alright? Twice. Alright? Trust me. Anything you think of, we've already tried. The only way out is through the Maze."

Scarlett sighed. "Now, look, you wanna he helpful? Here," Newt said, chucking Thomas a basket. He caught it in his hands and Zart grinned. "Go dig us up some more fertilizer."

Tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, Scarlett stood up. "I'll help," she said, "Besides, I have nothing else to do." Newt looked at her.

Thomas's foot hit a large stick that was hanging from the side of the Gardens, Scarlett jogged up to him. The two walked through the forest and Thomas was mumbling  something about how he had to get the fertilizer. "No, just get the fertilizer." She heard him mumble.

"You know where it is, just out in the middle of the woods."

Thomas and Scarlett came across a patch of water, both of their shoes stepping in it and when Scarlett looked up, she frowned realizing that her and Thomas came across the deadheads. "It's the deadheads," Scarlett spoke up. Thomas looked at her, scrunching his face in confusion.