Chapter Three ✓

WHAT ARE THEY HIDING?

AFTER THE GLADERS FINISHED THEIR MEAL, THEY WERE INSTANTLY RUSHED TO A NEW ROOM FOLLOWED BY GUARDS. Teresa still wasn't with them, and it made Scarlett wonder about the whole thing even more. Why did they want her so bad? Why were they running so much tests on her?

What made her so special?

Was everything okay with her? Scarlett didn't understand. As they entered the room, the Gladers seemed happy that they were getting a proper bed that wasn't made out of wood or a sleeping bag.

The room felt familiar like she has been in here before, but she shook that feeling off and looked around. "Ohh, I got top bunk!" Frypan said. Before Frypan could jump up, Minho rushed up there first.

"Oh, too slow." Scarlett looked around the room and didn't know which bed to take. 

"I can get used to this," Winston said, laying down with a smile, something that Scarlett hasn't seen him do in a long time. "Yeah, it's not bad," Newt agreed, looking around. The door locked and Scarlett ran a hand through her hair. "What do you think those guys want with Teresa?" Scarlett asked. "If there's one thing I know about that girl, she can take care of herself." Newt answered. She sighed, nodding.

That was true.

She just didn't get it.

"I guess," she shrugged.

"Don't worry about it, Scar," Newt said, as he began to climb up in his bunk. Scarlett sighed and ran another hand through her hair, followed by a frown. Teresa was a tough girl, but if it came down to a fight was she really able to take them all out by herself?

Scarlett sighed and said goodnight to Thomas. She crawled in a bunk and threw the covers on top of her. She soon fell into a deep sleep, something that hasn't happened for awhile, washing all of her thoughts and nightmares fade away. It was something that she had wished for, for a very long time. 

                                     -

In the middle of the night she thought she could sleep but she found herself constantly stirring and having nightmares about all of the other Gladers who were dead. Every time she tried to fall back asleep she would see Chuck laying there on the ground with a wound in his stomach. 

Every time she would see Gally with a spear through his heart and his eyes wide open. She couldn't sleep. When she woke up, she heard the tap running. Her eyes fluttered opened and she noticed a figure at the sink. "Thomas?" She quietly asked, almost as if she was a scared little girl.