Chapter Five ✓

PROMISES

PROMISES

AFTER SHE FINALLY CAUGHT UP WITH ALBY, HER AND ALBY TALKED FOR A BIT MORE. She liked talking to Alby. Sure he looked mean and tough, but overall he was a nice guy. Since he was the leader she wanted to get on good terms with him. Right now, Scarlett was making her way over to Newt who was walking with a Glader, a boy who she has yet to meet. Newt's friend said goodbye to him once he noticed the new Greenie walking over to them. He glanced at the girls way before leaving. Newt folded his arms and turned to face Scarlett. Scarlett sighed. "I've been trying to find you all day." Newt shrugged. "You know, the Glade isn't very big. You could have easily found me. That is if you were really looking." 

Scarlett rolled her eyes. Scarlett and Newt stood under a large wooden structure. She looked up and then back at Newt. "Can we go up there and talk?" Newt shrugged. She took that shrug as a yes. She climbed up first, and wondered if this thing was safe to climb since they have built it themselves. 

She knew that it had to be safe and secure, so she trusted it. Newt followed behind her and climbed up. Scarlett was just about to place her foot on the last step until she slipped, causing Newt to place his hand on her waist to stop her from falling to her death. 

Scarlett closed her eyes, letting out a breath. A sigh of relief escaped her lips, thankful for Newt being there to catch her. A shock went from Newt's hand to her waist, and the feeling of his hand being placed there made her warm inside.  She looked down at him, and he looked up.

"You saved me," she breathed out. Newt looked down to the ground. "The drop isn't too far down." "Still. Thank you." Newt nodded. She pulled herself up and the two of them were fully standing on the wooden structure. "Wow," Scarlett said, her eyes looking across the Glade.

"You can see everything from up here." Newt nodded. "I like to come up here and think. This is my place where I like to be alone." 

Scarlett wrapped her hands around the wooden railing, looking out to the Maze doors. "It must be boring. Doing the same stuff everyday," she said. Newt shrugged. "Being second in command has it's perks. I can basically do whatever I want." Scarlett sighed. "That must be nice."

"Look, Greenie. I'm stopping you from going  in the Maze because I don't want to see you get hurt. Or killed for that matter," Newt told her.

"You don't need to care for me, Newt. I don't need your protection." "But you do. Because you don't understand everything yet." "Alby told me everything. I know what's out there. He told me about the Grievers and what happens when you get stung. It's called the changing. It changes you in ways that can't be explained." 

Newt ran a hand through his sandy hair, which Scarlett took a note that it was something he did when he was confused, angry, or upset.