Chapter Six ✓

GARDENING IS TERRIBLE

THE NEXT MORNING SCARLETT WOKE UP TO SOMEONE POKING AT HER BACK. Groaning, she turned to roll over but someone was still poking her side. "Leave me alone," she muttered, turning the other way. Newt laying underneath the hammock, poked her on her left side again and she tried to smack his hand away even though he was still down below her.

"Bloody hell, Greenie. Why are you so hard to wake up?" Newt asked. Furrowing her eyebrows, Scarlett sat up and laid on her stomach. Laying down on the floor was Newt, with a wicked grin plastered across his face. "What the hell, Newt?" She groaned.

"I'm trying to sleep."

"You can't sleep. Not right now. Today, you're gonna find a job." Newt said, still there on the floor.

"And I'm gonna keep poking you unless you get your ass out of bed." Scarlett rolled her eyes.

"You're not my Mother," She stated.

"Just get up." Sighing, she sat up and got off of her comfy hammock, only to have fallen back in it again. She just wanted to sleep, and Newt was not having it. He didn't want to waist all day of trying to get her lazy ass out of bed.

"Not today, Greenie," He said. He stood in front of her and Scarlett frowned. "I don't want to get out of bed." "I know you don't want too, but you have to." Holding out his hands, Scarlett sighed and reached for them. He lifted her out of the hammock and she laid back down again, only to have Newt fall over top of her.

"Oh!"

Scarlett's eyes widened and Newt struggled to get up. When she did, her cheeks heated up a little. "I'm sorry," Scarlett said. "It's alright. Let's just go find you a job." Nodding, she slipped on her shoes and shrugged the feeling off of her with Newt being on top of her. Newt walked out first and both of them smiled as they made their way out of his room.

-

A frustrated Scarlett tried to find a ripe tomato. Newt had her start with Zart, the Keeper of the Gardens. "That one was orange," Newt said, folding his arms across his chest while watching Scarlett pick tomato's from the plants. Scarlett huffed. "Well, then there all orange!" She waved her arms in the air and ran her hands through her hair.

Pieces of dirt stuck in her hair when she ran her fingers through. Newt laughed at that.

"Here, let me show you," he said, bending down. "Isn't Zart supposed to be helping me? I mean, he is the Keeper of the Gardens," she said. "He doesn't mind me helping. Besides, I can actually find the ripe ones." Scarlett watched. Newt worked his way through the plants, searching for the ripe ones. When he finally found one he held it in his hands and smirked at the girl. Scarlett rolled her eyes and folded her arms. "See? It isn't that hard."

"Easy for you to say, Newt. When do you think was the last time I picked tomato's?" "I don't know. Maybe you used to work on a farm. You could have been a farmer," he shrugged.

"Uhh... I can barely find a ripe tomato. I definitely don't think I was a farmer. I picture a white picket fence with a white painted house and a nice yard. Without the tomato plants."

Newt laughed. "Who knows?"

Scarlett frowned, looking down. "Yeah, I guess we'll never know until we find our way out of this place." Newt pursed his lips. Scarlett stood up and placed her hands on her hips. "This isn't for me. What else is there to do around here?"

Newt grinned. "Here," he said, bending down and picking up a gardening shovel. "Start diggin' dirt, plant the seeds." "You want me to plant seeds?" Newt held out the shovel to her.

"Yup." He said, popping the 'p. Scarlett groaned and took the shovel from his hand.

"Fine. Hopefully I won't screw this up," she said, bending down and beginning to dig small holes for the seeds. "I think you're doing pretty great so far," Newt commented. She scoffed. "I dug one hole!" "Dig a couple more and you'll get better." Scarlett sighed, dropping the shovel on the ground.

She stood up and looked at Newt. "Newt, This isn't for me. Isn't there anything else that I can do?" Newt looked down, then back at Scarlett.

"Yeah there is, but you might not like it." "I don't care. I don't want to plant seeds, or dig holes anymore. Where else can I go?" She asked. "You leaving me, Greenie?" Zart asked.

"Yeah. Sorry, Zart. This isn't for me." Zart only shrugged. Scarlett licked her lips and looked at Newt.

"Well, can we go now?" "Yeah. Let's go find Winston. He's theKeeper of the Slicers."

Slicers. She remembered Alby telling her about the Slicers. "Oh, god," she whispered. She could already tell that this was going to turn out bad.