Chapter Nine ✓

WHEN WILL IT STOP?

WHEN WILL IT STOP?

THE THREE TEENAGERS WALKED BEHIND TERESA, THEIR GUNS RAISED, HEADS LOOKING STRAIGHT, SHOWING NO FEAR. "Keep moving," Thomas said, getting a grip on Teresa's arm, shoving her a little in front of him. Scarlett shoved her arm out towards the elevator door, the tip of her finger pressing the button. 

Thomas stayed beside Teresa as Scarlett backed up and waited for the door to open.

Starting to get impatient she groaned a little, reaching her hand out to the button again. 

"Come on, come on," she muttered, pressing it twice. A second later it finally opened, Scarlett headed in first, Newt following her. Thomas pulled on Teresa's elbow again and shoved her inside. The four were squished in the small elevator, Scarlett could feel her heart rate pumping faster. She has never been in a elevator before.

Well, she has, but doesn't remember. What if it got stuck and they couldn't save Minho in time? What if- Newt could sense that she was scared, her hand was placed down from her grasp on the gun, Newt reached for it and gave her a squeeze. She seemed to calm down, and Newt had to let go of her hand just as the door was stopped from being closed.  Scarlett couldn't believe who it was.

Janson.

-

"Hold it," Janson said, prying the elevator door open with his hands. Scarlett looked down, licking her lips. She hated this man. Scarlett couldn't think she could ever hate someone so much, but this particular person she hates his guts. She hates him so much that if she and him were alone, it was a for sure thing he'd be dead. 

Thomas glanced at Scarlett and Newt, outside Scarlett looked calm, on the inside she was freaking out. What if the elevator got stuck and they were stuck with Janson? That would be a nightmare. It already was a nightmare. Scarlett glanced down at Thomas's hand, who placed it on the trigger. 

He wanted to fire so badly and end it all but he knew that he couldn't. Teresa looked straight ahead not talking, not saying a thing. She was only worried about her friends - if Janson ever found out they were here, behind her - what would he do to them? 

"You're working late," Janson said, making a conversation. "That's what I like about you, Teresa. No matter how bleak things get you just... you never give up. Times like this you... you need a friend who you can count on." 

Teresa mumbled something to him that Scarlett couldn't make out, she was focused on glaring at the back of her head. "There is one thing you should know. One friend to another. Thomas and Scarlett are here." He whispered. 

Scarlett licked her lips, Teresa slowly turned to look at Janson. "Our surveillance picked them outside of the walls. Ava didn't want you to know about this. If they try to contact you and if they do, well... I'd like to think that I'd be your first call." 

Teresa frowned, looking at him again, the person who Scarlett despised the most in this world. "Are you going to kill them?" She asked, her voice lowering. "Would that be a problem?"

Finally, after a few moments of silence, the elevator beeped signalling this was their stop. 

"This is me," Teresa said, nodding her head at the door. Newt walked out first with Scarlett, Thomas behind them. On the way out Thomas hit shoulders with Janson before following his friends. 

-

"Thomas, you have to listen to me. Getting that serum won't save Newt. It might buy him some time but-" "Wait, what the hell is she talking about?" Scarlett asked, catching up to Thomas. 

"Thomas?"

"Just ignore her, she's trying to get into your head." Newt said, wanting Scarlett to forget about what Teresa just said. "Thomas, listen. You know what's going on out there, people are dying. The world is dying! There's something about your blood I don't understand."

"Thomas stopped at the door. "Open it."

Teresa opened up the door and continued talking again. "Let me run some tests. I promise I can protect you and Scar." Thomas threw his mask off, revealing his face. Newt reached for his arm, which he shrugged off.

"Yeah, like you protected Minho?"

"What are you doing?"

"Thomas..." Scarlett said. "How many more people do they have to round up, torture, kill? Huh? When the hell does it stop?!" "It stops when we find a cure." Teresa told him. "There is no god damn cure!" "Don't waste your breath, Teresa," Jansons voice echoed through the air, rounding the corner with a gun in his hand. 

"Scar... get behind me," Newt said, pushing her behind him. Newt and Thomas turned on their weapons, pointing them straight at Janson. 

"He's made his choice long ago, and Scarlett."

"Drop it, kid!" A man with a gun yelled, three of them coming from the other side of them.

Without hesitating, Thomas pulled Teresa back, bringing a gun to her head.

Scarlett gasping at his actions. "Back up!" He said waving the gun at the other guards, Janson was the only one not dropping his gun. 

"Back off, tell them to back off!" He yelled. 

"Hey, Thomas... come on. It's me. I've known you longer than you can remember, you're not gonna shoot her." "You don't think so?" "Okay, come on, then." 

"Shoot her."

"Prove me wrong. Shoot her." Scarlett was shoved back by Thomas, she fell on to the ground and dropped to the floor. Teresa pushed Thomas in and closed the door, concealing them from Janson and the others. 

"Teresa!" Scarlett yelled, pounding on the glass.

Janson started firing the gun, hitting the glass and creating bullet holes. Scarlett gasped, jumping backwards. A alarm went off and Scarlett took her mask off, throwing it on the ground, her eyes meeting Teresa's. Janson pounded on the glass angry, glaring at the three of them. Newt took his mask off following Thomas and Scarlett. Teresa breathed out, looking at Janson. The three of them ran. It was time to save Minho.