Chapter Nine ✓

AKWARD SITUATIONS

AKWARD SITUATIONS

THE NEXT MORNING SCARLETT WOKE UP BEFORE NEWT DID. Which was a miracle, because he's usually the one who has to wake her up in the mornings. He guessed that she didn't want to see his eyes this morning since he had seen her naked body yesterday. It would just have been awkward. 

But sadly, Scarlett knew that she couldn't avoid Newt forever.

She's gonna have to suck it up and talk to him sooner or later. When all of the other Gladers woke up, Scarlett found herself walking towards the dining area where she would see him. She didn't know what she was going to say, she'll probably act like nothing happened, but really it did. 

She couldn't stop thinking about Newt seeing her like that. It's not that she's insecure, its because it happened to fast. She didn't want him to see her naked since they still don't really know each other enough. Sighing, she shook her head and walked up to Frypan. 

"Morning," She said, smiling. Frypan scooped some eggs and a piece of toast on her plate. 

"Morning. Hey, do you know what's going on with Newt this morning? He came to get his food but he seemed a little off." Frypan said. 

"No idea. I can go talk to him if you want?" He nodded. "Sure. Thanks, Greenie." She huffed.

"When is anyone going to call me Scarlett around here?" Frypan laughed. They smiled at each other before she walked off, heading towards her usual table. The other Gladers still stared at her as she walked. She hated all eyes on her. She didn't like it. It frankly made her uncomfortable with everyone staring. It's been a five whole days. They should all be used to her by now. Newt was sitting with Chuck, Winston, and Jeff. Scarlett sat down next to Newt and Chuck was on the other side of him. 

"Morning, Greenie," Jeff smiled. "Morning." 

When Newt looked at her, all he could picture was her naked body. He didn't want to think about her like that, it all happened so fast. If he didn't catch her though, she would have fallen and hurt herself. He decided to not be stupid about it and just talk to her like he does every other day in the Glade. He didn't want anyone to think something was wrong between them. 

"You're up bright and early today. I thought I was gonna have to wake you up again," Newt said. She shrugged. "I wasn't really tired today. I didn't sleep at all though, but I'm not that tired." 

"Yeah, I didn't sleep well either." Newt agreed. 

Chuck looked up from his plate and knitted his eyebrows together, wondering if something happened between the two. "Did something happen?" Chuck asked, which made Scarlett choke on her water after she took a drink. 

Her cheeks turned red as she wiped her mouth with her sleeve. "No, uh- no, Chuck. Nothing happened," she said quickly. "Okay," he grinned. She then turned to Winston who was already looking at her. "You're not mad at me, are you?" 

Winston shook his head. "No."

"You sure? You sure seemed like it that day."

"No, Greenie. I'm not mad at you. Now we know that you're definitely not going to be a Slicer," he chuckled. "I wasn't going to be one anyways, Winston. That's not for me." "What would you like to do?" She glanced over at Newt, the blonde who was already looking at her. 

He shook his head. "I want to be a Runner."

Winston dropped his fork on his plate, shocked. "Are you shuckin' kidding me? You'll die out there." Scarlett narrowed her eyes. "I keep tellin' her that, but she doesn't seem to care." Newt said. Chuck was moving his head back and fourth, watching them talk amongst themselves. 

"Just cause I'm a girl you'll think I'll die out there?" "Look, Let's not talk about this again. You already promised me, alright? We all voted on you not being a Bagger cause we wouldn't trust you standing out at the Maze doors and we already voted on you to not being a Runner. Get it through you're head. You're not going to be a Runner." 

Jeff quietly sat there not wanting to get in the middle of this. What does she not get that they all just want to keep her safe? Especially Newt.

"I- I got to go," she said, quickly standing up.

Newt dropped his fork and ran a hand through his hair. 

When Scarlett was about to leave the dining area, a figure stood in her way. She looked up to meet eyes with Gally. So far she's been ignoring his presence and she's done a pretty good job. She does not want to talk to him. 

Especially not after he knocked her out with plywood. "You're with me today, so don't wander off to far," Gally told her. Rolling her eyes, she pushed past him and walked away. 

She needed to get out of there.

And that's exactly what she did.

    -

Walking through the woods, she moved the trees out of her way and kept on waking. She didn't know where she was going, but maybe, just maybe, there's a way out through the woods. The woods were getting darker by the minute but she could still make out where she was headed. Hearing the crunching of the leaves underneath her shoes, and she tripped on a twig and fell. Gasping, she landed on the ground and this beeping noise filled her ears.

Looking up, she met eyes with a metallic creature. It was small and had a red button on it which was blinking. Her eyes widened. She didn't move. She didn't want to startle it.

It made her curious to what it was. "What the hell?" She whispered. "What are you?" She stuck her hand out to touch it, but the metallic creature headed off in the other direction. If only she knew Thomas was on the other side watching her through the Beetle Blade. The girl stood up and took off in a sprint, and tried to catch up to the metallic creature but it was no
where in sight. 

She crossed a small bridge that had a stream of water running down below it. She walked a few more miles and stopped right in front of it when she saw it. There in front of her stood a little shack. It wasn't very big, but it was big enough for someone to live in it or to sleep in. 

Taking slow steps, she looked around her surroundings and could see no one in sight.

Entering the shack, her eyes widened and she stopped dead in her tracks when she saw a Asian boy writing something down. He heard new footsteps entering and he turned around.

"Hey, what are you doing? You're not supposed to be in here."