Chapter Four ✓

THE CITY

THE CITY WAS LIKE NOTHING SHE HAS EVER SEEN. People were scattered everywhere, people yelling at WCKD, wanting to get in and get revenge for whatever they had done to them. People were covered in dirt, hair and face messy. Though Scarlett shouldn't be judging, she's a little filthy as well but not as much.

Scarlett pushed past through the people, bumping into them and them bumping into her. Thomas took lead in front, Scarlett next to him and Brenda behind her who had her hood over her head.

"This place has already been through hell," Jorge said, meaning everybody here. "We just got to stay together." Thomas said. Brenda reached for Scarlett's arm, their arms linked, both of them wanting to stay together and not to part.

A vehicle started driving through the crowds of people, someone talking into the radio from a car. A boy sitting on top of the van with his gun looked down at Thomas and Scarlett, his eyes met hers through the glass of his mask. He wished he could say hi at least... but he knew it was too risky.

The boy kept on looking at Scarlett and Thomas as they drove off, Scarlett getting a weird feeling in her stomach, a feeling that she couldn't explain. "We rise up!" One of the boys was saying. Thomas couldn't shake the feeling away from the boy who stared at them.

"Hey," Scarlett said, reaching for his hand.

Thomas looked down at her, licking his lips.

"You okay?" He nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine." A blinking light on the back of Scarlett's and Thomas's neck began beeping, helicopters and a berg flew over the large crowd of people.

Thomas lead the group through crowds of people and into another area, which had more people surrounding it. "That's it, that's our way in!" Thomas said.

"Thomas!" Jorge shouted at him through the loud crowd of people, catching up to him. "All these people trying to find a way in you think you're going to find something that they can't?" Thomas ignored him and continued walking.

"We came this far, I'm not turning back now."

"What the hell did we get ourselves into?" Frypan asked. "Get out of my way, get out of my way!" Jorge said as the group pushed through the crowds of people, making it up to the front of the line, staring right ahead at the doors. "Thomas, this doesn't feel right!"

-

They continued walking again, and Scarlett did not know where she was going. The only thing she knew was for sure was that she wanted to get Minho and get the hell out of here, and fast so that they can all go home and be far away from WCKD as they possibly could.

"Hey guys, we gotta go, now. Look," Newt said.

Everyone turned their bodies around and looked at the guys wearing the masks coming towards them, pushing through the crowd as well.

"Shit, they're coming from all over," Scarlett said, "What do we-" She was cut off by a loud grating sound- a sound that reminded her of when she was in the Glade-the maze doors opening. A loud grumble of concrete echoed through the air, and Scarlett's heart squeezed with terror.

The next thing she knew everyone began screaming and running behind them, except for them at first.

"Thomas, let's go!" Frypan yelled. Suddenly, a bomb landed on the ground causing dirt to fly up in the air, and bodies being blown up. "Let's go!" Scarlett yelled running with the others. They all ran, ran for their lives.

Frypan and Newt in front, Jorge and Brenda behind them. Scarlett and Thomas were in the back, she almost got blasted by a bomb. Her body hit the wall, palms smacking against the concrete. Thomas stopped running and pulled her to safety away from the bombs. He grabbed her and and pulled her along, the two of them catching up with the others. Scarlett caught up with Newt but was grabbed by a man, dragging her away from Thomas. Scarlett was shoved in the van with Jorge. "Hey, let go of me you... you greasy bastard!" She screamed and tried kicking at him, but it was no use. The next thing She knew there was a blindfold being thrown over her head, and after that all she could see was darkness.