Chapter Eight ✓

THE SCORCH IS A DANGEROUS PLACE

THE SCORCH WAS A STRANGE PLACE. A place where Scarlett thought that she would never enter. Never step foot. A place unimaginable. But it was. It was real and one of the most craziest things she has ever seen in her life.

Rundown buildings were everywhere. They were lucky enough that there were no Cranks out so they wouldn't have to run for their lives again. Everyone was feeling the way she was. Surprised to see what the world had come to.

That there was nothing left in humanity's survival. Everything was gone. Scarlett tried to picture where they were. She was having a hard time doing so. Everything was covered in sand. It made it hard to see the ground and visualize what was underneath it.

"What the hell happened to this place?" Frypan asked, interrupting Scarlett's thoughts and wonders.

"I don't know. Doesn't look like any one has been here in a long time." Newt answered. Scarlett was walking with Minho and Thomas in the back, Teresa was in the rear. "Hope the whole world's not like this," Aris said. Thomas stopped, which caused Scarlett to look at him.

"Tom?" She reached for his hand.

She walked again. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on, stop."

Scarlett let go of his hand and furrowed her eyebrows. She looked around confused, wondering why he was acting like this. "What's wrong?" The Gladers turned around to look at them.

"You hear that?" Scarlett shook her head, "I don't hear a thing. Look- let's just go." The Gladers were silent for a few moments, her head spinning around trying to make sense of what Thomas was hearing. She couldn't hear a thing until her eyes widened in panic and Thomas shot his head up. A helicopter. A freaking helicopter. WCKD.

"Get down! Everybody hide, hide!" Thomas yelled, grabbing Scarlett's hand and pulling her underneath a large slab of concrete. "Get in here. In here, in here!" The Gladers crawled under it, two choppers along with a large berge flew over them.

"Shit," Scarlett whispered. "They're never going to stop looking for us, are they?"

                                         -

After waiting for a bit longer, they made sure it was all clear before they decided to walk again.

The Gladers climbed their way up large rocks of concrete and every time she took a step she thought about WCKD finding them. "Everyone good?" "Just great. I love... hiking up large slabs of concrete and getting chased by WCKD," Scarlett said. Aris rolled his eyes and said, "Now is not the time for jokes, Scar." Scarlett took what he said by surprise. Since when did Aris start calling her Scar? She shook that thought out of her head and kept on climbing, her hands getting scraped by the rough concrete every time she touched it.

They finally reached the sand and began climbing it. "A little further, guys," Thomas encouraged them to keep up. When they got to the top, the wind made the sand blow up, hitting Scarlett's cheek. It felt like tiny needles piercing into her skin every time.

She covered her face with her hands and shook her head. Scarlett could see the mountains from afar and she covered her forehead with her hand to block the sun away from her face.