Chapter Two ✓

SAFE PLACE

THE GLADERS FOLLOWED THE MAN OUT OF THE ROOM, AND FOUND THEMSELVES WALKING DOWN A HALLWAY. "You can call me Mr. Janson. I run this place. For us, it's a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside of the scorch. You all should think of it as a wait station. Kind of a home between homes." "You mean, you're taking us home?" Thomas asked. "A home of sorts. Sadly, there wouldn't be much left of wherever you came from. But we do have a place for you. A refuge. Outside of the Scorch. Where WCKD will never find you again," he turned around and asked, "How does that sound?" 

"Why are you helping us?" Minho asked, before he glanced at Newt and Scarlett. "Let's just say... the world out there is in a rather precarious situation. We're all hanging on by a very thin thread. The face that you kids can survive the Flare virus makes you the best chance of humanity's continue survival. Unfortunately, it also makes you a target,"  Janson was saying as he stopped at a door, making Scarlett look at Minho. "There's no doubt by now you've noticed. Beyond this door, lies the beginning of your new lives.

Scarlett pursed her lips. "First things first. Let's do something about that smell."

-

A shower has never felt so great.

It was even better with the hot water running down her back, pushing her hair with her fingers. She let a few tears slip down the drain in the shower since she was by herself. She thought about the Glade and all the others who've been left behind. All of the others that were dead. When she was finished, a fresh pair of clothes awaited for Scarlett on the bench. A navy blue long sleeve shirt, a pair of skinny jeans and a brand new pair of runners. She slipped into her clothes and dried off her hair. When she was done, a female guard was waiting for her outside of the bathroom stalls. 

She took her to a room where the rest of the Gladers were. Where her family was. It looked like some sort of a lab with a chilling affect around it. When she entered, she noticed Minho running on the treadmill. She smiled a little at him and he gave her a small smile back.  She saw Newt getting tested and her eyes widened in panic, realizing that they were giving them needles.

The long needle in Newt's arm made her anxiety risen. Her heart was beating fast and her palms were getting sweatier and hotter by the minute. Thomas was getting blood work done, also. 

Apparently she did not like blood, or anything to do with needles by the looks of it. "This way," a doctor said to her. She followed and walked by Thomas. "Is this really necessary? I mean, do you have to take my blood?"

Thomas looked at her and noticed a sign of panic in her eyes as she took a seat. She sat down and the doctor began pulling the tubes out from the drawer and setting everything up that she needed so she can proceed to take her blood. 

"Look, I- how about we do this later and then we can all be happy here?" Scarlett asked her again, hoping that they can shorten the whole blood thing and not have to do it. The doctor sighed, "You're going to have to do it sooner or later. It's something that needs to be done."

Scarlett wasn't having it.

She just wasn't. 

She shook her head. "I prefer later, thank you very much." When the male was finished with Thomas, Thomas headed over to Scarlett to make sure she was alright. "Hey, just focus on me, alright?" He began saying. "No, I can't..."