Chapter Four ✓

SOMETHING WEIRD IS GOING ON

THE NEXT DAY SCARLETT FOUND HERSELF SITTING WITH THE BOYS AGAIN. Her mind was focused on finding out what was behind that door, she didn't even bother to answer Newt's question when he asked her if she was alright. The only thing she could think of was the body being drawn into the room. And what the hell were they doing with it? I don't think anybody really leaves this place. Aris's voice rang through her head like an irritating itch on the back of your neck. It wouldn't go away.

Even when she tried to sleep, his words he spoke were still there. When Janson called the names this morning, no one seemed happy as usual that they were being called up today. A few smiles were shown on their faces, but other than that no other emotions were showing. 

"I wanna know what's through that door," Thomas said, staring at Janson. Scarlett looked at him and pursed her lips. Newt looked at him. "No, we've been over this. You and Scar said they were covered up so you don't know what you saw." 

Scarlett shook her head. "Something weird is going on here, Newt. I won't give up until I find out what it is."

"Well, it could have been anything out there."

"Exactly. I said they were bodies. Aris told us they bring in a new batch every night." Minho asked, "who the hell is Aris?" "Henry," Janson called. Gladers turned their head towards the boy wearing a hood over his head. He was holding up a orange peel in his hands, and it looked like he was examining it which made Scarlett raise an eyebrow. "Well, I'm sold,"  Minho said.

"Last but not least, David." The rest of the kids clapped while Scarlett only wondered where they could possibly be taking them. If there really was a safe place outside of the Scorch. 

Whatever they were doing to them she needed to figure it out. They didn't deserve what was happening to them. All Scarlett wanted to do was stop it. 

Stop whatever they are doing to the kids in this place. "Okay, until we're certain we should keep our heads low and try to not draw any attention to ourselves, alright?" Newt suggested. With that being said, Thomas stood up from his spot on the bench and walked to the door where the guards stood. 

"Tom, hey-" Scarlett said.

"What is he doing?" Newt asked. "I think he's drawing attention to himself." Frypan said, pointing out the obvious. Scarlett sat up and Minho grabbed her hand. "Hey. Stay here," He said. "He's going to do something stupid, I know it." She murmured. 

"Thomas is smart. He knows what he's doing."

With that being said, Scarlett watched Thomas try to walk out of the room like his name has been called, until the same guard from earlier placed a hand on his chest, not letting him exit the room. Scarlett shaking her head at this, began to walk over to them. 

"Hey, Scarlett," Minho said.

Thomas began to start a commotion with the guard, yelling things that were too fast she couldn't make out the words he was saying. All Thomas's anger went into him as he charged at the guard, trying to get through those doors. 

"Hey, what's your problem?! Let me through! Hey-"

"Thomas, stop!" Scarlett said. Minho and Newt rushed to the scene to yank him away from the guard.