Chapter Eleven ✓

BERTHA

BERTHA

SCARLETT HASN'T LEFT THOMAS'S SIDE SINCE THEY HAVE FOUND HIM AND BROUGHT HIM TO MARCUS'S HOUSE, WHICH WAS A LONG AND HARD JOURNEY TO FINDING HIM. They did it, and Scarlett was glad that it was all over.

Somewhat over, anyways. Now they had a real chance to find the Right Arm.  Since Scarlett and the others have met up with Brenda and Thomas, Brenda hasn't stopped staring at the strawberry blonde. More like she was sending daggers in her direction. More like Scarlett did something terrible, but she didn't know what she had done to her.  

Scarlett brought her hand to his hair and tousled his curly brown strands. She slid her thumb down his lips and felt the chapped skin on her finger. Thomas then woke up, gasping for breath. His eyes darted around the room, he then met Scarlett's who were looking down at him, a small smile forming on her face. 

"Tom, hey," Scarlett said, causing Thomas to rub his eyes. "You're here?" Thomas asked her.

She rolled her eyes. "Of course I'm here. You think I would leave without saying goodbye?" 

She shook her head, "I'm not going anywhere." 

"Good." He wanted to kiss her until Minho stepped beside her. "Welcome back, ya ugly shank." Scarlett rolled her eyes at his comment. She and Minho helped Thomas up and Scarlett gave him a quick hug. "I suggest you talk, you son of a bitch!" Jorge yelled, punching Marcus in the face again which made blood pour from his swollen lip. 

Scarlett remembers when she so badly wanted to do that to Jorge when they had them strung to their deaths, but after the journey they had to get where they are now, Jorge saved her life from getting ripped open by a Crank. She made him promise that Jorge will never tell Thomas. 

And the others as well.

She has actually come quite fond of Jorge and now thinks of him as a friend. Jorge loves her snarky remarks when it comes down to it. "I'm sorry," Marcus breathed out, "But you and your friends are going to have to leave my house." 

"Listen," Jorge spat, placing his hands on the chair arms. "I don't like hurting you. Where is the Right Arm, Marcus?" "Wait, this is Marcus?" Thomas asked stepping in the conversation, which made Marcus chuckle. 

"Kid catches on quick. Are you the brain of the operation?" With that, Jorge hit Marcus again when he didn't answer his question, and he grabbed him by the air which made the chair dip backwards. "You tell me where they are," Jorge hissed, pointing his gun at Marcus's neck, "I'll make you a deal. You can come with us." His laughter filled the room, though it was more like a annoying giggle coming from his lips. "I burned that bridge a long time ago." 

"Besides, I make my own deal. You're the one who taught me to never miss an opportunity."

"What's he talking about?" Scarlett asked.

"Supply and demand," Marcus continued.

"WCKD wants all the immunes they can get. So... I provide that for them. I lure the kids in, they get drunk and have a good time. Then, later, WCKD comes in... separates the wheat from the chaff." Jorge sighed and rubbed his nose, "I changed my mind," he breathed, "I do enjoy hurting you." He kicked Marcus in the chest, the force from his leg pushed the chair backwards to the ground creating a loud thud. Scarlett jumped back, arms folding across her chest. 

The Gladers sat up from their seats, watching.

Jorge continued to place himself on top of his stomach, cocking his gun and resting it on the man's forehead who let out a squeal. "Jesus, alright!"  

"I'm not makin' any promises," he whispered,

"These guys like to move around."

Jorge stood up, bringing Marcus forward so his chair rested on the ground again. "They have a outpost in the mountains," he breathed with tiredness and exhaustion, "But it's a long way. When you've got half of WCKD on your ass, you're never gonna make it on foot." Marcus let out another chuckle before wincing as Jorge stepped forward. 

"Not on foot," he said, placing his hands on Marcus's shoulders, a smirk forming on his face. "Where's Bertha?" Scarlett furrowed her eyebrows, folding her arms. "No... not Bertha." Marcus whined like a two year old, almost as if someone was taking his candy away from him. 

Scarlett stepped forward.

"Who the hell is Bertha?"

                                           -

The engine roared as the car that was apparently named 'Bertha' made it's way down a long narrow road. Jorge sat in the driver's seat, one hand on the wheel and the other on his lap. Newt called shot gun which him and Scarlett fought over until the girl finally gave up and let him have the front, who when he won, had a smirk on his face. Minho's arms were crossed. he gave a eye roll to the boy sitting in the passengers seat that he so badly wanted to have and Scarlett laid her head on Minho's shoulder after giving Thomas a quick glance. 

The others were seated together in the back, squished together side by side. Multiple power lines filled Scarlett's vision as she looked out the window, rusted and broken. They entered a maze of mountains, everyone of them looking the same yet different. The road ahead of them was thin, only wide enough to fit one vehicle. 

A few cars were ahead of them, looks like they haven't been used for years. "Well," Jorge sighed, "Looks like we're on foot from here." 

Scarlett jumped out of the car and looked around. She didn't know why she felt the way she did, but something wasn't right. The feeling she had in her gut was telling her that something was definitely wrong about this place. She walked over to Thomas and reached for his hand. He took it and the two checked out the cars. Noticing something shiny and dented on the hood of the car, her eyebrows furrowed. 

"Hey, Tom... is that?" Thomas looked at her before he reached his hand out to touch the bullet hole in the car. Scarlett's eyes widened. 

She could feel the hair on the back of her neck stand up, her face full of worry. Then, almost quickly, a bullet flew next to Thomas which he grabbed the girl and pulled her down next to him. 

She looked up and tried to find out where the gun shots were coming from. "Everybody, hide!" Thomas yelled. The Gladers heavy breathing filled the air. "Does anyone know where those bloody shots came from?!" Newt yelled. 

"I don't know, maybe from the people in the mountains?!" Scarlett shouted at him. Newt scoffed. The Gladers were about to stand until two girls stood behind them, pointed their weapons at them.

Jorge breathed out. "Put your hands where I can see them!"