Mindnight Meet and the Creature in the Woods

I walk down a dirt path at night as I let out a yawn. My head pounds as a wind blows through the trees and an owl hoots somewhere in the distance. I take in a deep breath and a intense smell of pine and sap fills my nose.

   I feel so sick right now... I think I ate too much, ugh imagine when I finally have waffles. I am so going to gorge myself when I finally get my hands on them! Man it feel great out here, I wonder if I should sneak off and see Charlie. He's probably sleeping right now, so I better not.

I hop over a rotting log and send a rock flying off into the darkness. A distant howl echoes around the eerie night woods. I stop and turn to where the howl had erupted. That was pretty close by... I march forward and come to a small fork in dirt path and I turn to the left walking deeper into the woods.

"Ahhh, this is relaxing!" I call out and my voice echoes around as I smile.

The branches slap together above me and I look up listening to the flapping of wings. Peeking between the branches, the moon rest high in the sky, only a quarter of it is visible and I shove my hands into my jacket pockets. I hum a tune to myself as I kick my feet outward with every step I take. A frog croaks in the distance accompanied by the choir of crickets. I whistle along with the tune as I hop over a log and dirt flies up around my converse.

I should go to the skatepark tomorrow, after all, I haven't been there since I came back. Skate around, I'll probably have to borrow Charlie's board...

I halt instantly as the loud snap echoes around the empty woods. I look down to my feet, nothing but the dirt is underneath me. I look around at the surrounding trees, peering towards the forest floor, still nothing. Shaking my head, I walk forward again with a big sigh I kick a rock. It flies off and a loud grunt comes from the direction it had gone.

"Nope!" I shout and turn running off as fast as I can. Branches slap across my face and scratch my arms as I go. My breath comes in quickly as I push through the woods and turn back to see if whatever I had hit was chasing me.

I turn back and slam into something it stumbles and lets out a low groan as I grab a stick and pull it back ready to hit it.

"DIE!" I scream and pull back and slam it down.

"Drew stop!" I stop and look down to see Dean eyes wide as he stares at me. "Thank god..." His head falls back into the ground and he lets out a sigh of relief as I toss the stick to the side. "What are you running from?"

   "Not entirely sure, something grunted, and I ran." I explain and help him to his feet as he pops his neck and dusts himself off. "What are you doing out here?"

   "I was just taking a little stroll." He says as he yawns and pulls out his flask taking a swig and placing it back into his pocket.

   "Why do you do that?" I ask and he looks at me and tilts his head.

   "What drink out of this?" He asks and shrugs as he pats his pocket. "Thirsty." He says and I shake my head. "Wanna walk with me?"

   "Sure." I say as we begin walking down the dirt path. He walks beside me, his tall stature towers above and I keep my hands into my pockets.

   "So, you and Charlie huh?"

   "What on earth are you talking about?" I say as he stops and looks at me. "What?"

   "You think I'm stupid?" He says and snorts walking ahead. "Common Drew, be honest with me!"

   "I seriously have no idea what you are talking about." I state and he laughs as he tosses his arm over my shoulder.

   "You two are so obvious it kinda hurts." He says and I shake his arm off of me as he smiles. "It's okay really, I don't really care."

   "Then why bring it up?" I ask as he looks up towards the sky. "Dean!"

   "Just wanna know how it's going." He says shrugging and pushes his hands into his pockets. "Everything okay, right?"

   "Yes... Why?" I ask and he shakes his head walks forward as I glare. "Seriously tell me."

   "Even if I said anything, you wouldn't believe me." He says shouldering me slightly. "But I really was just worried, wanted to make sure everything was okay."

   "You sure?" I ask and he looks down at me and smiles slightly.

   "Yeah, I'm sure." He says and I nod as he stops and his arm flings out holding me there. "What was that?"

   "Huh?" I ask and listen, the bushes a little ways ahead shake as I look around. We had made our way back to where I had ran off and I sneak behind Dean. "So, remember the thing I was running from?" I whisper as he looks over his shoulder glaring deeply towards me. "Yeah...."

   "I hate you." He mumbles and reaches down grabbing a round rock the size of his hand clutching it. "Okay, lets see what it is.."

   I take a small rock and toss it into the bushes and out jumps a small bunny. It's white cottontail shakes slightly as it stands on its back legs sniffing the air towards us.

   "Awe how adorable!" I say as Dean drops his large rock and smile stewards the bunny.

   "Aren't you just terrifying!" He says in a baby voice as wiggles his fingers at it. "You're so cute!"

   I watch as he continues to talk to the bunny with a gentle baby voice as he kneels down reaching out toward it. It hops away from him watching us quietly as we smile happily at it.

   "It's so cute." I whisper and we smile at it as it begins setting at a berry that had fallen from a bush. "Awe!"

   Jumping from the bush, a larger animal, a coyote, snatches the bunny into his jaws and runs off into the woods. The bunny's screams echoes out through the woods as Dean and I stand frozen in our spot.

   "A not so Hoppy Ending..." Dean says as he shakes his head sadly walking away as I stare at the spot the bunny had been sitting.

•*•*•

Thank you so much for reading!!!  I hope you all enjoyed reading this chapter! Sorry it took so long to update, I'm having a tad bit of trouble because I've been busy lately! Anyway! I love you guys, please, vote, comment, add and or follow for more!