Explosions in the Sky

The cabin is silent as I watch Daisy brush her hair out and braids it. I go to say something but bite my tongue as I whip out my phone and text Charlie back. Violet looks between us and Abigail and Lucy both whisper silently. The silence is like a blade about to slice through a veil of-

   "GOOD MORNING!" Tina shouts and I jump hitting my head on the ceiling and looking towards her. "I have excepting news! Kenny just called and said that we get the lake this year!"

   "Seriously?!" Lucy cheers and jumps down from her bed as Violet claps and I climb out of my bed. "We haven't got the lake view since three years ago!"

   "Really?" I ask and Violet throws her arm over my shoulder as we leave the cabin. We walk down the way and go into the center like always for breakfast.

   Kenny has already corralled all the campers at a table and we take a seat. Everyone talks in a hurry as Charlie hands me a danish and I smile taking a bite. Daisy sits across from me, barely glancing at us before turning away. "Alright, I know we are all really excited about going to the lake today!" Voices raise over his and he closes his hands together. "Everyone relax! After breakfast, we head out to the lake and begin gathering everything together!"

   Everyone goes back to eating and Charlie talks to Jason as I take a bite of my food. I zone out, the chatter of everything falls away. My head begins to pound and I feel a hand press to mine. I look over to see Charlie smiling down at me and I smile back, then I feel the table shift slightly.

"Daisy are you okay?" Violet asks and Daisy nods as she walks and tosses her trash away.

"Just taking out the trash." She says glancing towards Charlie giving a cold glare and I squeeze his hand.

Everyone glances before looking away and Charlie smiles at me. I finish my food as does everyone else and we all stand ready to leave. Charlie places his hand onto my back leaning me out gently and someone slams between us. Daisy walks from between us casting a gold glare our way and I grit my teeth.

"I'm sorry about her." I whisper and Charlie shakes his head and ruffles my hair.

"It's okay, I'm going to proof myself, remember? She's just upset." He says and I frown as he shoulders me lightly. "Relax!" I sigh watching as he walks forward a few spaces and I lag behind.

   "Man, Daisy hates you right now..." I groan and turn to see Dean walking along beside me. "Sorry.."

   "It's fine, she's the one acting like that." I mutter and Dean bites his lip as I look to him. "She said that, you wouldn't let her tell me about Jenny. How come?"

   "I-" He stops and tilts his head then continues. "I didn't know how you would react, wanted to make sure you would be okay. Besides, it's not like you would have believed me." I look at him as he shrugs laughing and looking up towards the sky. "Just don't worry your pretty little head about a thing." He says and taps my forehead and I watch him too walk along the way.

•*•*•

   Adam and I place the final rock for the fire pit and I lean back looking out towards the water where the campers splash around. "Now we just wait for Daisy and Charlie to bring the wood." My stomach knots up just thinking about it as I sit on a large rock.

   Dean rolls down a hill and comes to a stop at the edge of it looking up at me. "What are you doing?" I mutter as he shrugs and sits up.

   "I'm bored." He mumbles and looks out to the lake. "Kenny said we can't go into the lake until Daisy and Charlie get back."

   "It's too hot out here!" Adam shouts and opens the ice cooler sticking his head in.

   "That's what you date Violet." Abigail mutters and Violet shakes her head laughing it off as she walks away.

   From the far side of the woods, Daisy and Charlie emerge. He holds an arm full of wood as Daisy holds a couple of logs herself. They both seem to stay quiet and a sigh of relief escapes from my mouth. Daisy stumbles a bit and Charlie stops kneeling down to pick it up, and in a flash, his wood drops to the ground as her palm  slams into his cheek with a dry crack. I stand in shock watching as she storms off and Charlie holds his cheek, then anger fills me completely.

   "What the hell!" I scream walking to her. "What is wrong with you?!"

   "You'll thank me one day." Daisy mutters and I glare at her back.

   "Don't ever come near me again." I whisper and she stops turning and looking towards me. Her eyes are wide and she swallows hard. "I don't want to even look at you right now. How could you?"

   "I'm not sorry." She says and I see the faintest of tears as she hurries away and I hurry over to Charlie who picks up the wood.

   "Are you alright?" I ask and he nods smiling gently as I pick up a few logs and we walk and stack it up. "Let's get some ice for that." I say and he nods as he sits on the log and I grab a chunk of ice from the cooler and press it to his cheek.

   "I'm sorry Drew." He whispers and I look at him. "I drove a wedge between you two..."

   "No, you didn't." I say and look over at Daisy who Violet stands hugging. "She did it herself."

•*•*•

   I sit with Charlie on the pier, everyone else sits at the beach around the fire. Their laughter echoes out around us and I glance over to see Adam doing a strange dance. "Uhh..." I whisper and Charlie looks over and sighs. "His family did some test and they found out they were 1/8 Choctaw. So that's that." He says and we watch his strange dance as he laughs. "I really feel terrible about you and Daisy."

   "She'll get over it." I say and lay my head against his shoulder. He wraps his arm around me and I look at our reflection in the water. The moon hangs above us and cast a small sliver of light. "I can't believe she slapped you."

   "It's alright."

   "Not it's not." I whisper and he smiles as he kisses me gently and then stands. "We have to go back?" 

   "Well the show is about to start." He says and I stand with him and we walk back to the camp site just as they pull out the s'mores kit.

   We sit along beside each other helping hand everything out and Charlie takes out his guitar. He begins to strum a gentle melody, his voice is smooth and gentle as he sings a beautiful song. Everyone sways along and soon after, fireworks burst into the air. I smile feeling his arm wrap around me and he kisses my forehead.

   The perfect end, to the perfect day, however, it was a tragic end to a long time friendship.

•*•*•

Dun dun duuuunnnn! Double post!!! Anyway, hope you liked it!!!

Please do give it a vote and or comment, you can also add this to your library or whatever! Tell all your friends, or your pets ❤️ anyway thanks again and I'll see you all next time!