The Funeral

Nor shall this peace sleep with her; but as when
        The bird of wonder dies, the maiden Phoenix,
         Her ashes new create another heir
        As great in admiration herself;
       So shall she leave her blessedness to one,
      When heaven shall call her from this cloud of darkness,
          Who from the sacred ashes of her honour
           Shall star-like rise as great in fame as she was,
           And so stand fix'd.
                                -Henry Vlll by William Shakespeare

Flowers. There were flowers everywhere.

All kinds of flowers, violets, petunias, lilacs, daisies, dandelions, sunflowers- you name it. Herbs, spices, oils, scents waving throughout the open field.

It was the field in which Claire would take battling and magic lessons, the ones she loved so much- almost as much as she loved pop tarts. She could love them a tad bit more if they weren't so dead early in the morning, but none of that matters now.

Here stood the folk. The people of the kingdom, Atticus's kingdom. He had never even gotten to present her to them- but they knew. They knew of her, and of the stories told. Of how she marched her little ass throughout Celmira's lair, and battled just to save kingdom folk just like them. Innocents.

            Fae folk, trolls, vampires and wolves, water nymphs, silkies, sharp toothed pixies, forest sprites, and more extravagant hidden folk. All gathered in this field to say goodbye. She lay there lifeless, in a polished golden casket- you could see your reflection in it. It was the evening so torches were being lit and displayed around.

                A whisper of a hum sounded throughout the field. A song of the forest sprites. The melody echoed through the place, but Atticus couldn't find himself singing along to it. His misery- it made him think reckless. His mind was an ongoing spiral of how he would bring her back. Merlin couldn't do it- no magical potion in this realm could do it. He was on his own.

                  He didn't think Claire would like the thought of him saving her- but look at where that got her this time.

                He was done crying, mourning over her. You only cry over people who are lost- and she will not be lost. He promised- she will be back.

               He knelt at the coffin, face stone cold. He couldn't bring himself to look at her face, he knew it would break him. Seeing her lay there lifeless and swollen- she would be alone in these woods for a little while. In the soil with the worms- he clenched his fists. He should be with her. He could be with her. He needed to find a way to make her come alive again. To see the sparkle of life in her eyes, the sheer determination to plow through life untouched. She was powerful, and beautiful. She was kind to him- and for that life had to let her go.

                       Atticus raised his eyes to look at her one more time before the soil took her- his eyes watered.

                   Her long locks of hair looked brittle and split, not like her usual shiny hair. Her skin was a pale blue of a color, lips dry and cracked. He grabbed onto her hand, he didn't feel her usual heat. He clenched his eyes shut and buried his face in his hand.

                   His queen would have to be gone for a little, but he would make sure she would be back.  He swore on his damned soul that he would.

           He couldn't stand to see her this way, dead and soulless. It was nothing like her usual touch that heated him to the core and ignited a fire in his very soul. His phoenix, his love. Her smile that thwarted away any bad memories and bad decisions. Make any monster a saint.

      He ran his fingers through the scruff that was forming on his face, he was letting himself go, he knew. He hadn't gotten much sleep in the past few days, planning everything out. If he had enough time, he could find something to bring her back. Merlin wasn't going to help him, he didn't know how. But he would help himself. He would help Claire, and he would get rid of anyone in his way.

             Getting out of his crouched position he turned to the people of his kingdom. They all knelt, waiting for his speech. The one he was supposed to prepare, the one that was supposed to tell his people that they would be able to take this loss and heal. The one that would say how sad he was, but he'd be able to move on.

                  He wasn't able to write that. He wouldn't look at them in their faces and lie. He wasn't that person.

              They waited for something, anything, faces hopeful.

                "This is not over." Atticus started. A few of their faces fell. They knew he wouldn't be saying the traditional speech- he'd be willing to risk the kingdom and put them through war for revenge. But that wasn't what he was going to say, he knew they'd still be disappointed to hear what he was actually going to say. They'd view him as pathetic, as a king gone brain dead along with his mate. That wasn't his case. He was very much alive, and had a plan.

                    "My queen will not go away this easy. She will arise again- Ill make sure of that."

               Gasps sounded throughout the fields. It wasn't the kings speech that they were all so dumbfounded about. It was what was happening behind him- in the casket.

                  Smoke emanated throughout the air, burning the silk inside of the casket. The smell of burning material wavered underneath everyone's nostrils. Atticus was distracted by their reactions, he continued on with his speech, but no one cared enough to listen. Something much more important was in the midst of happening.

                   Claire's body lit up in red flames, some water nymphs rushed to throw water in her direction but it was no use. Atticus stopped talking all together, like he was frozen in the moment. The flames died down as Valdus, Merlin, and Atticus took a look in the coffin- all of them prepared for what they thought would be nothing but ashes.

                  What they didn't expect to see was in the very middle of the grey ash- there lay a pearl white phoenix egg- and all of Atticus's hopes and dreams inside.

*

*

*
*
*
*

A\N ---- HEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY YALL!!!!  Have you guys heard the Weeknds new album??? He's going back to sadness and at this point and time in my life IM LIVING FOR IT. Any thought on it? so far im sticking to his song 'Call Out My Name'

         ALSO I THINK I MIGHT GET A PET TURTLE EVEN THO I HAVE TWO DOGS, should I ? I hear that they bring luck, and lord knows I need some of that right now. Luck- and a friend. Ever lay alone in your room for weeks with nobody to see if youre alright or even talking at all? yeah that's where im at. I swear im not a shitty person lol just going through a lot. AS always, I love all of you guys and your support, I APPRECIATE YALL!!