The Questioning

Claire's POV

He sat there, staring at me in fascination. I chewed slowly and swallowed down the food, trying to keep my manners. Why was he staring at me like that? It made me so self conscious. Did it really matter? I'm sure that I'm leaving here soon, anyway. So did it really matter if I ate like a pig for all I cared?

Maybe I shouldn't try to eat well manored. I'm starving and my mother isn't anywhere to be seen, why not eat like a caveman for once? I took a large bite out of the burger that he had brought me and felt happy that he went out of his way to make me it. It wasn't a floppy little thing like those burgers from fast food restaurants, it was a stacked beast. It had everything in it, and just trying eat it slowly was making my mouth salivate in want. After chewing the bite, I looked up and caught him smiling at me.

"What?" I asked in a curious tone. He shook his head as if to say 'nothing' and leaned back, putting his hands behind his head. My eyes zeroed in on his arms, taking note of the tattoos that littered his arms. Something— I had no idea that I overlooked. Flexing his arms allowed me to see more of his tattoos, even though it trailed down and was covered by his black v-neck. He actually looked attractive, but not the type of gentlemen that my mom would want. He looked manly, my mother wanted boyish for me. A suit, not a black v-neck and Grey jogging sweatpants. Flawless skin, not tattoo sleeves. Perfect teeth, not pearly white fangs. He looked attractive alright, if you counted out the kidnapping, and wannabe vampire personality.

I looked up and he gave me a toothy smile, flashing his fangs at me. I quickly looked down, taking a gulp of the chilled water he had set down right next to me. Hopefully it wasn't drugged. I quickly clear my mind of all the questions and comments, trying to relax the most that I can in my unrelenting curiosity. He sighs and puts his arms back on the table, leaning in.

"Go ahead." I furrow my eyebrows at his command.

"Wha-" I was cut off by him.

"Ask what you want to ask. I know you have questions." He states as I give him a bashful smile. Okay, now think of some pretty cool but not stupid questions. Why are you so pale? Okay good. Why are you so good looking? Nope, that's bad, don't blurt out questions about his luck. I've just decided that asking questions was a bad idea. I come up with the perfect question in the last second.

"Why did you save me?" I asked. Oh yeah, that's a good one, I mentally high five myself. His expression turns dark in a split second. I start to think that maybe that wasn't the right question anymore. I turn pale as he gives me a dark calculating look, but answers nonetheless.

"There are things in life that I care about. You happen to be one of them." He says, muttering the last part. He sees my baffled and frustrated look, and decides to explain better to me.

"Okay, let's say that your husband-" he was cut off by me.

"But I don't have a husband." I state.He raises an eyebrow and runs his hand through his inky black hair, letting out a breath.

"Okay, let's say that your betrothed-" he was cut off again.

"I don't have one of those either." I state. I knew I was annoying him, but it was funny watch a big and bad fit guy wrinkle his nose in frustration.

"Fine. Let's say you had a passion for something or someone, and someone tried to rape it. How would you feel?" He asked, eyes staring into mine intensely, trailing over my facial features. He glances at my lips a little longer than any of my other features, and it makes me want to observe him also. I avert my eyes, furrowing my eyebrows while trying to come up with something to say.

"Why would someone try to rape my books?" I loved messing with him. He threw his hands up in the air and gets out of his chair; grabbing my trash along with him to throw out.

"Right, no more questions." He grumbles, frustrated with me. I laugh. I couldn't stop laughing, even when he gave me another dark look.

"You're funny when your angry." I gasped out, trying to control my laughter. He raised an eyebrow. He seemed to do that a lot.

"You laugh easily." He says, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning on the wall. He seems flustered by me laughing at him, but this was all so strange to me. New.

"How can you care about me." I rasp out, catching my breath as he gives me a sobering look. He straightens up as I stare into his eyes. "You don't know me at all— for all you know, I could be the next hitler." I finish, tone growing serious.

"Two things—" he says getting near me. "One, nobody is the next hitler, he was a monster. And two, shouldn't I care about anyone who would be in that situation?" He asks, bracing his arms on the marble countertop right in front of me. I lick my lips in concentration, feeling out the depth of his words.

"No." I say, shaking my head. He seems taken aback by my response.

"No?" He asks, deep voice sounding off of the walls.

"No," I shrug. "See, the way you make it sound is more intimate. More personal. You make it seem like every damsel in distress you find laying around is something personal for you." I say, debating whether or not I should go on.

"Maybe it is." He says, countering me as I'm tempted to grin.

"Nope, not buying it. Not at all. Why would you bring me to your home? If it was anyone else, they'd bring me to a hospital or police station. You made it personal— as if you knew me." I say, catching my breath as he leans closer.

"Maybe." Is all he says before leaning away from me, and walking towards the doorway of the kitchen.

"Can't you just say thank you and move on?" He calls out to me over his shoulder. My heart skips a beat at his playful tone, and I have a feeling that I'm growing fond of this 'vampire'.

"Thank you." I breath out. "Thank you for saving me."

*

*

*

*

*

*

*
Okay, so here's a shorter version of the chapter that got deleted. I saw that many of you were writing on my message board to update this book, soooo yeah. And, I'll try to update again on Friday. Or at least Thursday, around there.

Question~ does anyone get hyper when they get sugar like Claire ?

READ

VOTE

COMMENT! LOVE YOU BITCHACHOSS!