My Type Of Gold

Claire's POV

As a shy girl, I never was one for crowds and public school. I wanted to be- but my mother raised me isolated. I don't blame her. The outside world can be dangerous. I think back to that ball night many moons ago and remember that strange mans scent. Cigarettes. He wasn't on any drugs that I knew of- he didn't smell of anything other than cigarettes and maybe a little bit of booze that went undetected. But he knew what he was going to do- and that's what scared me. He was an undetected evil in this world- many people had this evil inside of them.

Some get punished by jail, and some- like him- go undetected and are free to harass and do harm to other human beings. I still remember how Atticus saved me- how his brilliant red eyes glowed like rubies in that dark alley way. How he bared his fangs at the man and gave me a wicked smile on that chilly night. I think back to it- and I realize that it's one of my favorite moments in my life. That's the moment that I met someone who would change my life forever- who I'd grow this deep attraction to and might already love. But what do I know about love?

I grew up far from people's affections, and I know why. She was just trying to protect me. Mother wouldn't approve of this- mother wouldn't approve of that. It's how I scolded myself to keep myself on track. I always wanted to be successful in her eyes- not knowing that a mother will always be proud of you. A mother's love is unconditional- and I wish I would've known that growing up. Instead, I left without a second thought to this amazing new dimension, leaving her to be alone with fucking maids.

Did she hate me for it? No. Was she mad? Maybe.

All this time, I was thinking and regretting how I never even got to say goodbye to the woman who gave me life before I died-- just to find out that I might not even be dead.

Crack!

My wing pushes the last piece of shell out of the way so that there could be a big enough hole for me to climb out of. This thing housed me for god knows how long, and here I was destroying the cute little thing. How long was I in there? Time wasn't really a concept at this point. I climb out of the egg and my feet go pitter patter on the marble drawer. The surface was cold and rough on my little feet. Everything looked huge compared to when I was human. Almost like that story jack and the beanstalk- everything was giant to him. Jack had found gold- and now I'm going to go look for some myself-- Atticus.

                My type of gold indeed.

          With that thought in mind, my stomach let out a loud grumble. I was hungry. Starving in fact- being concealed in an egg for god knows how long will do that to you. Being reborn will do that to you.

The purple sun still shines bright warm rays of golden sunlight though the windows, and as I look around- I recognize this room as Atticus's.

"Oh fuck. Holy shit." A freaked out whisper snaps me out of my observation. I turn to find a guard by the door watching me wide eyed. My stomach rumbles again.

"Who the fuck are you?" I ask, but instead it comes out as a caw. I huff in frustration as he backs always slowly. Is he seriously scared of a bird right now? A fucking six inch tall bird? I wonder how scared he'll get if I show him my fire. I shake my teasing thoughts away as he starts to call for help.

"Ruiz! Cardel! The egg-- it, it-" he stumbles backwards as I start to flap my little wings. Can I fly? I guess we'll find out.

         I start a run towards the edge of the drawer, and the lanky guard realizes what I'm about to do.

          "Wait- no!" He starts forward, but it's too late. I leap off of the drawer and spread my orange and blue feathered wings. Did I have feathers when I first broke out of my shell? Probably. They shine radiantly in the sun, almost in a metallic way. I would stop to gawk at them and admire for a couple minutes- but the scaredy pup is after me. He tries to block the doorway, but I flap my wings and swoop in between his legs. I briefly hear him say 'shit' behind me as I soar through the brightly lit halls. The castle still seems as beautiful as when I left it-- almost untouched in a sense.

           It smells like popcorn- and I feel oddly nauseated at the smell. Human food? What do I want?

          My senses fine tune themselves, and I hear a crackling downstairs. Fire.

             I rush towards the stairwell and flap as fast as I can. I don't know how far the guard is from me- but I know that I can't communicate to him in any way with him since I can't talk.  I wouldn't be able to eat- he wouldn't know what I wanted. I'm not going to starve for however many hours he would hold me in that room. Plus, I'm defenseless. Who knows if I can trust this guy. Oh yeah, that makes sense. You should be so afraid of the man who almost peed his pants at a little birdy being born.

                I shake my sarcastic thoughts away as I reach the fireplace downstairs. The embers dance within the dark room, and I feel my mouth start to salivate. The wood logs crack and sizzle with the fire eating them up- I know exactly what to do.

           Without a second thought- My little body does exactly what I want it to, I know what I want, and I know what I need.

            I shoot towards the fire, and land directly into the crackling orange and red tinted flames.

           My last thoughts as I let the fire consume my body is-- 'Where the hell is Atticus?'

Hey guys !! What did ya think of this chapter? Also-- I'm writing a new vampire story, I think it's going to be hella good. I have two chapters written and am working on the third one-- I think you guys are going to love it- but I won't post it until I have atleast ten chapters written. Fuck you writers block !!!!!!! Love you guys !!!!!

Want a description of the new story ? Let me know and I'll put it in the next chapter !!!

READ

VOTE

COMMENT !!!!!